AVIC411.com

Z150 Firmware Update - Still doesn't recognize phone

I just updated the firmware on my Z150 and followed Pioneer's instructions to a T.  The radio still doesn't recognize that my phone is connected via the cables.  It only recognizes it via bluetooth.  The AppRadio button on the Z150 is grayed out so I can't select it.  I've made sure that my iPhone 5 has the AppRadio app as well as the CarMediaPlayer app installed.  Still nothing.

Anyone had better luck than me?  Is there a trick I've missed?  I've deleted the phone from the bluetooth settings on the Z150 and re-paired it (making sure to select "yes" when it asks if I'm connecting it via Digital AV and also selecting "Yes" when it asks if I want to use it for AppRadio mode).  I've also tried turning off bluetooth on the phone to see if that was the problem, still nothing.

I'm going to contact Pioneer's tech support as soon as they get back from lunch, they are in Pacific Time.

Called Pioneer tech support and got nowhere.  He gave me the same ole troubleshooting steps that I had already tried.  He advised me to try removing the radio and checking the iPhone connectivity cable (as well as the HDMI) to see if maybe they had come loose.  I checked, still didn't work.

Finally, I was able to fix the problem on my own.  When you first connect the phone to the radio via bluetooth, it asks if you will be using an Apple digital AV adapter.  I always selected "Yes" and then "Yes" when it asked me if I was to use this phone for AppRadio.  I finally figured out, through various menu setting journeys, that it doesn't matter if you select "Yes" to digital AV, you still have to change it in the system settings.

It was several steps to change this.  I first had to go to the AV source screen and click on "Source Off" to completely turn off all sources. I then had to go to the "Home" screen->click the little gear in the lower right->system settings->AppRadio settings->click "iPhone" at the top->This is where it will ask you if you are using the 30-pin connector or the digital AV adapter.  Mine was still set to 30-pin even though I had told it, during the bluetooth setup, that I was using the digital AV adapter.  Once I did this, everything worked fine, I was able to stream Netflix, SlingPlayer, music, etc.

Same issue here. I've purchased the right cable and followed the instructions to the letter. Blue tooth functions work fine for phone and music, but nothing else. I've tried every trick I could imagine, to no avail (uninstall all of the recommended apps - AppRadio, etc., power off, restarteverything, remove/reinstall apps, everything. I know the cables are correctly, installed because I watched them install it personally.

I'm on an anddroid Galaxy iii. Which s approved.

suggestions?

Are you guys sure you did it correct? Did you guys download the appradio app for your cell phones also keep in mind the update gets rid of the ipod tab on nav. you have to  download carmediaplay app onto your phones to access your music on your phones. also the app button on the nav screen should appear in the center on the screen once you select that your phones should sync in.

Huntter did you change your setting for android compatibility in the z150bh??? I think all units are set as iphone default.  I am not savy with android phones but I am sure you need an adapter for the micro usb to hdmi and its gotta be brand name like Samsung and not those cheap ebay adapters.

Also for you android guys did you buy the MHL Micro to HDMI?? that connects to you phones and to the usb and hdmi into the units.

Thanks for the note, Humv - Yes.  I did set everything up for the Android on the Z150BH.  The unit was installed by a dealer and I specifically asked for the Android connector, etc.   But I think I found the problem.  Android does not show campatibility with the Samsung Galaxy S3 on their list.  DAMN!!  LOL  This is as of today: May 3.   Here is the compatibility list direct from Pioneer's website.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/UnAssigned-Content/Android+Compatibility

The problem is mine, though.  I assumed compatibility would be there.  I'm not sure what the leap is from the S2 to the S3.   So I'll wait for the update.

Are you guys sure you did it correct? Did you guys download the appradio app for your cell phones also keep in mind the update gets rid of the ipod tab on nav. you have to  download carmediaplay app onto your phones to access your music on your phones. also the app button on the nav screen should appear in the center on the screen once you select that your phones should sync in.

Yes, I did everything correct. As in my second post above, I found the solution which isn't listed in the firmware update notes nor did Pioneer tech support help with it. At least the tech I spoke to. I just happened to find the fix while clicking through the menu settings. Hope it may help someone else with an iPhone 5.

Also you may want to look into the bluetooth settings on the head unit and make sure you have the app mode checked for the phone you are using.  I have 2 iphones and found that you cant just switch from phone to phone when using appmode.  The head unit can only use one phone.  You can pair multiple phones with it but everytime you switch to the other phone, you have to change the app mode setting under that phone you want to use in the bluetooth settings on the head unit.

I'm also having issues with the system not recognizing my phone. However I didn't buy the cables from Pioneer. I just plugged in the iPhone USB cable in the USB slot of the unit and then just a regular hdmi, both running to the lighting adaptor. Everything connects fine and the phone appradio recognizes that its connected, however the icon is still grayed out on the unit. My question is do I really need to have the official cable to work or am I doing something wrong? (I read in reviews of the AppRadio 2 that you don't really need the cables).

I'm also having issues with the system not recognizing my phone. However I didn't buy the cables from Pioneer. I just plugged in the iPhone USB cable in the USB slot of the unit and then just a regular hdmi, both running to the lighting adaptor. Everything connects fine and the phone appradio recognizes that its connected, however the icon is still grayed out on the unit. My question is do I really need to have the official cable to work or am I doing something wrong? (I read in reviews of the AppRadio 2 that you don't really need the cables).

There goes your problem you don't connect the iphone usb cable into the usb port of the unit. You have to buy the pioneer adapter kit that will use the "Pionneer's" adapter or whatever its called and converts it into a female Usb so that you can run you iphone usb to that.  That's what gives your unit full control of your phone.  Did I solve it?

There goes your problem you don't connect the iphone usb cable into the usb port of the unit. You have to buy the pioneer adapter kit that will use the "Pionneer's" adapter or whatever its called and converts it into a female Usb so that you can run you iphone usb to that.  That's what gives your unit full control of your phone.  Did I solve it?

CD-IH202

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I did everything correct. As in my second post above, I found the solution which isn't listed in the firmware update notes nor did Pioneer tech support help with it. At least the tech I spoke to. I just happened to find the fix while clicking through the menu settings. Hope it may help someone else with an iPhone 5.

your solution helped me! thank you for posting this...

now i just need to figure out a way to keep the digital adapter hidden, and only have the lightning cable exposed.

i also need to find somewhere to mount my iphone.

there are sooo many things to do with the iphone + avic150 that it is going to take me a longgg time to figure it all out! but so far, after only having it for a week, i am thoroughly impressed!