AVIC411.com

SD Card sort order of folder items

Hey there.  I'm converting some music videos, etc for playback on a 920 from the SD card.  On said card, I have created named folders (movies - videos - TV etc.).

As a test, I numbered six videos in a specific folder from 01 to 06.

Problem: the sort order seems random.  Item 03 is listed first, 04 second, and 01 thru 06 are listed third through sixth.

What am I missing?  I thought that by numerically listing the videos, it would be a done deal.

With my X950BH, the directories are in alphabetical order and the unit goes through them in the same order. Inside the directories however, the files are played in "date - time stamp" order with newest first. There was a post about this here somewhere so I had to go through my videos again and for a multi part concert I would do a pass through Handbrake of the last to first in that order. That cured 95% of the issues although some still play not in any order even though random is not selected? Note that just a copy or rename which might change the date - time did not fix this, not sure why?

With my X950BH, the directories are in alphabetical order and the unit goes through them in the same order. Inside the directories however, the files are played in "date - time stamp" order with newest first. There was a post about this here somewhere so I had to go through my videos again and for a multi part concert I would do a pass through Handbrake of the last to first in that order. That cured 95% of the issues although some still play not in any order even though random is not selected? Note that just a copy or rename which might change the date - time did not fix this, not sure why?

how bizarre - that's what I was thinking it could be, even though I encoded them in Handbrake using the queue method, so the first video would be finished first.  How typically Pioneer to come up with some weird-ass method that isn't mentioned, doesn't make any sense, and has no real way to rectify.  I'll let you know if I can find any solutions, although since no one here seems to have mentioned anything else, I assume it's something no one either knows or cares about...lol

Hummm, that link times out so not sure what it is? At any rate the playback order is only an issue if the files are a concert video that was broken into pieces so it could be uploaded to the newgroups easier. In that case it is irratating to have the song switch in the middle to another that does not match. I finally used a "video assembler" to put the files together in one larger one since size in bytes does not seem to matter. Note if you use the Windows assembler it makes a wmv file and has to be run through Handbrake again which is a good idea any ways to make sure the parameters did not change.

I was at school when I tried the link so the school's scanning software may have been looking at it? Works just fine from home?

Hummm, that link times out so not sure what it is? 

Odd...it works for me.

Anyways, this is the program I used (it's one of the programs linked to on my other post)-- it's pretty basic, but it allows you to access the FAT file system sort (which apparently is somewhat close to alphabetical).  I noticed a number of things off when I resorted, but this takes care of it pretty well.

http://www.anerty.net/software/file/DriveSort.php

This was an issue I had with just mp3 files on an x930. The first link above from smkmn13 says it all... the system reads back the files in the order they were copied onto the card. So I often ran into this after copying new files over.

For mp3s I ended up dumping all files to a computer, sorting, then copying back again to the card (and eventually ditched the sd card for an ipod...). 

This was an issue I had with just mp3 files on an x930. The first link above from smkmn13 says it all... the system reads back the files in the order they were copied onto the card. So I often ran into this after copying new files over.

For mp3s I ended up dumping all files to a computer, sorting, then copying back again to the card (and eventually ditched the sd card for an ipod...). 

do the numbers 001, 002, 003 etc count as 'alphabetical' ordering, in so much that 001 comes before the letter 'A'?

Just to help confuse this file listing thing, over the weekend I did conversions on about 150 old videos such as mpg, avi, etc to resize and set to MP4 format. They are in alphabetical order A -> Z with a couple with numbers as the first characters in the name. I copied them to my thumb drive that way, A -> Z and when I tested them, they played that way even though the date/time stamp was all over the place!!?? This happened with two sub directories with about 75 videos in each one. Hummmm.

The ASCII value or 001 or 002 is lower than "A" for example since the "0" value is 48 and "A" value is 65 but this only comes into play if the computer program in the head unit is looking at the ASCII value of the file name. To confuse naming, if the ASCII value is read then "a" value is +32 higher than "A" so it goes later. Most people have no clue what ASCII value means or why listing things alphabetically does not seem to work at times so that might show a clue as to why Pioineer wants to use date/time the files were written to order them.

I did send an email to Pioneer a week or so ago and escentially the answer was huh, I am not sure what you are talking about?!

OK, this app that you posted the link for worked fine, as far as sorting the order alphabetically.  I assume it also took into account the numbers first, as my files all started with 01, 02, 03 etc.

http://www.anerty.net/software/file/DriveSort.php

I first put them on disc with number 06 first, sorted with the app, saved (don't forget to do that, or nothing will change) and voila - number 01 moved to the top of the list.

Thanks for the suggestions