AVIC411.com

Avic z-120BT keeps rebooting problem

My z120bt keeps rebooting and then either I get a black screen or I get program startup error. I've been running the 2012 update for about 6 months without any issues but then the other day it just keeps rebooting. I unplugged the power for over 30 minutes and it worked fine for about 10 minutes and then keeps rebooting. Any help would greatly be appreciated.  I have never done Condis test/hack mode and am not familiar with it. 

If you haven't done anything to the software, it's safe to consider an issue with the hardware.

HackMode TestMode has a feature to test the various components of the unit.  Perhaps it could help you somehow.  Using it is a piece of cake.

Edited by Lyverbe

I warn against installing Condi's HackMode, it has temporarily bricked many units. Use TestMode (totally different critter). TestMode has many hardware diagnostics and booting into TestMode does not alter any internal files.

OP, I don't know how long you have had this unit installed in the vehicle or where you live, but since it is starting to get hot in much of the US, I would suscpect the unit is over-heating. That would follow your symptoms pretty well. Is there good air-flow and clearance behind the unit? Maybe the fan isn't working.

My z120bt keeps rebooting and then either I get a black screen or I get program startup error. I've been running the 2012 update for about 6 months without any issues but then the other day it just keeps rebooting. I unplugged the power for over 30 minutes and it worked fine for about 10 minutes and then keeps rebooting. Any help would greatly be appreciated.  I have never done Condis test/hack mode and am not familiar with it. 

If you haven't done anything to the software, it's safe to consider an issue with the hardware.

HackMode has a feature to test the various components of the unit.  Perhaps it could help you somehow.  Using it is a piece of cake.

I warn against installing Condi's HackMode, it has temporarily bricked many units. Use TestMode (totally different critter). TestMode has many hardware diagnostics and booting into TestMode does not alter any internal files.

You're absolutely right, it's TestMode and not HackMode.  HackMode did temporarily brick my unit and I had to work to put it back up (simply create a USER\PRG.FLG was enough, but I had to figure it out)

I was thinking of a heat issue. It just got hot here in Ny this past week. The cooling fan is running and I've had this unit installed in my vehicle for about 3 yrs. Funny think today I took a 2 hr. trip with zero issues. It was hotter today then yesterday? I can't figure it out, but I will try to use test mode with the various hardware checks. Thanks guys

Ok after 2 days working without any issues the unit failed again with same problems of rebooting or start up error. I tried to install Condi Hack/Testmode v2.21 and after I inserted my SD card I seen the Hackmode screen and it went to reboot like its should with the install of hackmode but it didn't reboot. I get a screen at boot up that "There is no application program" and it won't me go any further. With the sd card in or out I now get this "There is no application program" at boot up. Now what?

Ok after 2 days working without any issues the unit failed again with same problems of rebooting or start up error. I tried to install Condi Hack/Testmode v2.21 and after I inserted my SD card I seen the Hackmode screen and it went to reboot like its should with the install of hackmode but it didn't reboot. I get a screen at boot up that "There is no application program" and it won't me go any further. With the sd card in or out I now get this "There is no application program" at boot up. Now what?

Oh no.  It's not "Hack/Testmode" as there is a big difference between HackMode and TestMode.  HackMode should really be taken offline or have this HUGE warning about it as it screwed up many units.  TestMode v1.14 is the only one that should be used.

Well, like I said earlier, I solved my problem by creating an empty PRG.FLG file in my USER folder.

1) Get rid of HackMode

2) Copy TestMode v1.14 files on your SD card

3) Make sure you have the latest TESTMODE.key file (there's a specific post with it)

4) Copy an empty PRG.FLG file on your SD card

5) Start the unit with the SD card

6) Use the File Manager to copy the PRG.FLG file in your USER folder

7) Remove the SD card from the unit and reboot

8 ) Cross your fingers

Oh, that's what you meant.  I thought you were saying that you weren't even able to go into TestMode.

You did put the file in the USER folder, right?

Well, some people have said that disconnecting the battery for a good 20 minutes somehow solved the problem.  Perhaps you can try too.

You can also try this: http://avic411.com/index.php?/topic/36854-undo-condis-hack-mode/

I tried the PRG file in the User folder with no luck also I tried uninstalling Hackmode with no luck. I got really good with using Testmode but no luck either. If I had another z unit could I copy there User folder and paste in my unit? Could it be another file besides one in the User folder? I really think its something with the board cause I did the 2012 months ago when it came available and one day it started acting up until it totally failed.

Have you tried running the tests option in TestMode?  Perhaps it could indeed reveal something wrong with the board.

I can give you a copy of my original PRG0 folder which is 25mb.  To make it smaller, I can also try to give you just the .exe files (Av.exe and Navi.exe)