AVIC411.com

A lighter topic for a change. I give you the future of my old radio

So I decided that since my original appradio was worth....yeah so since I can't sell it I might as well use it for something. 

So I bought a 3 amp ACDC converter from radio shack. They are 60 bucks. I probably could have found or made a cheaper solution, but I was lazy. 

Plugged in the wires into the appradio (I put the power and the amp turn on cables into the red end. Doesn't matter if the radio knows if the battery is on or not, when I switch the power off it loses all settings anyways) To my great elation, the old girl still works! Now the lightning to 30 pin adaptor is completely useless here, but I borrowed my mother's phone and everything still works. I even plugged in the old speakers that were in my car before the current ones, and they worked too. 

What's next. The AppRadio needs a constant power source to save its settings. Also, the radio would be nice to make portable (ish) So I plan on buying a smaller size 12 volt battery, linking that to the power supply I bought and then the radio to the battery. As far as the amp turn on business, I bought a simple switch that will handle that. I also need to buy a second switch to be the "parking break" So I can load videos on this thing. 

Finally I need to buy a cheap 4th gen iPod touch to be my radio. I have tethering on my phone, so streaming music from it while mobile won't be a problem. 

This will be a slow process, but as I upgrade and add components, and make parts I will add to this. 

In the mean time if anyone has any suggestions on how to charge car batteries without overcharging them that would be very beneficial to this project's future. 

Wish me luck guys!

post-74689-0-96176600-1370401529_thumb.jpg

So I decided that since my original appradio was worth....yeah so since I can't sell it I might as well use it for something. 

So I bought a 3 amp ACDC converter from radio shack. They are 60 bucks. I probably could have found or made a cheaper solution, but I was lazy. 

Plugged in the wires into the appradio (I put the power and the amp turn on cables into the red end. Doesn't matter if the radio knows if the battery is on or not, when I switch the power off it loses all settings anyways) To my great elation, the old girl still works! Now the lightning to 30 pin adaptor is completely useless here, but I borrowed my mother's phone and everything still works. I even plugged in the old speakers that were in my car before the current ones, and they worked too. 

What's next. The AppRadio needs a constant power source to save its settings. Also, the radio would be nice to make portable (ish) So I plan on buying a smaller size 12 volt battery, linking that to the power supply I bought and then the radio to the battery. As far as the amp turn on business, I bought a simple switch that will handle that. I also need to buy a second switch to be the "parking break" So I can load videos on this thing. 

Finally I need to buy a cheap 4th gen iPod touch to be my radio. I have tethering on my phone, so streaming music from it while mobile won't be a problem. 

This will be a slow process, but as I upgrade and add components, and make parts I will add to this. 

In the mean time if anyone has any suggestions on how to charge car batteries without overcharging them that would be very beneficial to this project's future. 

Wish me luck guys!

What's next a box that looks like a car dash? You can get a trickle charger that won't overcharge your battery.