AVIC411.com

AVIC z120BT on an E46 M3

I really hope someone can help me with this...i have an 120bt that i pulled off a car I sold and I would like to install it in an E46 M3 with standard navi and Harman Kardon sound system. The install comes with problems due to the construction of the M3 and mods have to be done, not the point. The one thing I have not been able to figure out is which wiring harness needs to be used and if there is anything else I need to tie into the speaker system. I have been trying my luch on the E46 forums but people seem to prefer the much inferior, specifically made for the E46, plug and play options that are on the market.

So has anyone ever installed a Z into an E46 and if so, what harness did you use? Thank you

I have an AVIC Z120BT with 140 software in my 2004 E46 325CI. The previous owner had it installed professionally. Just be prepared that you have to relocate your HVAC controls and also cut out part of the heater/AC baffle to make room for the head unit. There must not be a compatible harness because mine was all hard wired in and can not easily go back to stock (I don't have the stock head unit anyway). I'm very happy with it except the installer did not hook up the night time dimmer wire. You can't use the factory illumination wire because it dims with the dash lights. You have to tap into the headlights. I'm going to a custom audio place tomorrow to see if they will hook up that one last wire where it needs to be.

• 7 months later...