AVIC411.com

z130bt Tuner frozen, no sound, won't change channel

Yesterday while listening to HD radio for a while, the radio suddenly went "fffZZZZttttt!!!!" ... and then nothing.

I can still operate all other functions of the radio, including traffic tuner, with seemingly no issues whatsoever.  The sound is great on everything but the tuner, which has absolutely no sound (i.e. no static, whining, clicking, etc).

When I switch to the tuner it stays on one channel (with no sound) and the info box on the right-hand side of the screen just spins like it's trying to lock onto the station.  If I try a seek it will display ***.* for a moment and then redisplay the one channel number.  If I manually try to change the channel the number will bump momentarily to the next .2 increment ... then back to the channel that it's stuck on.

Originally the channel it was stuck on was FM 103.7, which was the channel I was listening to when it went out.   I tried a factory reset, and then pulled the radio (to fix other stuff) hoping the "battery pull" would clear it, but it did not -- it only moved the stuck channel to 87.9, which I believe is the first FM channel on the range.

If I move to AM it is stuck on 530, which I believe is the first AM station on the range.

Any ideas?  Did I fry something on the motherboard, or might a software reinstall fix this?

Thanks.  John

• 2 weeks later...

Interestingly, this morning the tuner started working again!   I just saw your note on pulling the fuse -- will keep that in mind for the next time this happens -- but I didn't do anything this time around except for not using the tuner for a few days and then finally trying it this morning.

Any ideas on what caused the problem and why it fixed itself?  Do the different operating sections of the head unit have their own circuit breakers, thermal or otherwise?

Thanks.  John