AVIC411.com

Z140 -work around to the 1port USB limitation

Although the 140 is a great head unit, only having 1 USB port (and then having to dedicate that port to an ipod/ipad/itouch) has always been a sore spot with me.  I've seen people posting about hubs and people struggling with boot order and all that. but I don't want something that is going to be a hassle every time I restart the car...

so I posted on toms hardware looking for a usb switch (without knowing if such a device even existed)..  something that I could put multiple usb storage devices into, but only have 1 output at a time.  I assumed this would satisfy the z140..

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-1724273/usb-switcher-multiple-storage-devices.html#11170925

eventually I found my own solution in a Kramer VS-41USB 4x1 USB Switcher

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kramer-VS-41USB-4x1-USB-Switcher-/200775933154?pt=US_Video_Cables_Adapters&hash=item2ebf2d9ce2

but this is cost prohibitive just to test (and certainly more than I thought it ever could be especially compared to standard hubs), although I would be willing to fork out the $200+ if it would work. 

if this does work, this unit could easily mount in the dash with a new oversized (fit to the dash) custom faceplate/bezel that could be made to include a pair of flush mount usb ports, an SD reader (yeah I know there is an sd reader in the 140 already, but why not?) and still have the functionality of my ipod at the touch of a button rather than digging through my glove compartment to disconnect and reconnect devices at 65-70mph...

anyone try something like this?  any feedback?

A "Y" splitter won't work? Do you need more than two USB inputs?

I wondered about this when I was considering the Z150. There's a separate input for Apple products, a HDMI to MHL setup for the Android, and I put a 3.5 mm jack on the console so I could input a MP3 player. I also put a separate USB charging port on the console...one that will service an iPad.

If the Y splitter will work for you, or if you want to try this, you may be able to use these, for that aesthetically pleasing installation.