AVIC411.com

AppRadio 3 Steering Wheel Controls

Hello all,

I upgraded from an AppRadio 1 to an AppRadio 3.  I have an aftermarket steering wheel controller that worked flawlessly with the old AppRadio (the Axxess RFASWC).  It still works with the AppRadio 3 but I can't figure out how the heck I remap the buttons.

Basically, I need the instructions below for the AppRadio 3:

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/AppRadio/How+do+I+set+the+steering+wheel+controls+on+AppRadio

Anybody knows how to go about this?

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot get my ASWC-1 to properly work with my AppRadio3 yet.  I've swapped ASWC-1 to a new one and same problem.  Hangup/Pickup of phone always works.  Mode pulls up the phone menu.  Track/seek up/down only works on the Radio, not BT or Pandora, etc.  And volume never works.

I called Pioneer, confirmed no control in AR3 to customize.

They said check with Metra that they can say with absolute certainty that the ASWC-1 has been tested with the AR3.  Perhaps it hasn't.

Said perhaps switch to PAC?

I will check more.

I cannot get my ASWC-1 to properly work with my AppRadio3 yet.  I've swapped ASWC-1 to a new one and same problem.  Hangup/Pickup of phone always works.  Mode pulls up the phone menu.  Track/seek up/down only works on the Radio, not BT or Pandora, etc.  And volume never works.

I called Pioneer, confirmed no control in AR3 to customize.

They said check with Metra that they can say with absolute certainty that the ASWC-1 has been tested with the AR3.  Perhaps it hasn't.

Said perhaps switch to PAC?

I will check more.

It was a bad harness for the ASWC-1.  I swapped the harness out and it works perfectly.

I don't have steering wheel controls on my SmartCar Brabus unfortunately.    Having a Knob to control volume was a big deal for me before I got interested in AppRadio 3.  This leads me to a related volume control question. (didn't want to start a whole new thread)

How "easy" is it to control the volume on the AppRadio?   

Do the Volume Up/Down buttons have a good action/feel to them when pressed?  (or cheap/mushy?)  Are you satisfied with how they did it?

I might miss having an easy control knob I can reach, feel, grab, control blind.     

Is everyone satisfied with the volume up/down buttons on this thing?

So yeah having Steering wheel controls is ideal, but what about for everyone else?  

EDIT: Now that I own the AR3 I wanted to say the volume control is outstanding, I don't miss the Knob.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

I hate reviving dead threads, but no one on XDA can answer apparently, so I'll ask here. Does anyone know whether the steering wheel voice activation button and/or hang up and answer buttons now work with the AppRadio 3? They did not with the 2, and Pioneer support is too incompetent to give a straight answer.

Neither PAC or Metra have answers on their sites, either.

The answer and hang up buttons work at least for me and the voice activation button opens my phone book I was not able to get it to activate siri. Also the mode button works to change between all the modes the stereo offers. From what I was told when they helped me program mine I can make the buttons do what ever I wanted provided the stereo supported what I wanted the button to do so if the stereo does not support your button make it do something else.   I have a 2013 Subaru XV with a Pac module and AR3, there is a list in the pac manual somewhere that says what is supported by each aftermarket stereo manufacture.