AVIC411.com

Z140 night lighting control

Newly installed Z140. Pioneer's logic path only allows the screen to be turned off using Home-5sec or Screen Off icon when the parking brake is engaged. This means that you cannot turn the screen off at night when you are driving.

That and the night  screen isn't adjustable. What am I missing other than a lack of common sense. Night driving with a bright screen is distracting. And yes, I have the Night Automatic setting turned on.

Or was this programed by someone who didn't want to be seen in the back seat making out at night, hence the parking brake requirement. Or was it an Anti-Coyote-Ugly-night survial programiong technique?

I'm not sure if its the same with my Z150...but I had a similar problem.  The screen wouldn't dim at night when the headlights were on.  Not just distracting...very dangerous, as the brightness reduced my visibility and the glare put a giant white block on the windshield like a HUD.  LOL 

The dealer had failed to connect it properly (if they connected it at all).  When I brought it back in, they connected the sensor it to the light circuit in the ash-tray.  That light only comes on when the headlights are in the on-position, so the switch only trips when the headlights on.    

Silly that the engineers hadn't considered giving you the option to dim the screen manually...or maybe they did and thought everyone would be able to get around this easily, or something.

Not sure if that helps...I did notice that you said you can't turn OFF the screen...as in powering off the unit.   I wasn't able to find that on my z150 either.

• 4 weeks later...