AVIC411.com

CD-IH202 kit required for AR3 using iphone5?

Yeah I understand all of that. Until now my understanding is you had to use the legacy 30 pin connector's USB portion with the Lighting cable in order to satisfy the USB requirement of the unit with the i5. This cable came standard with the AR2 which is what I have. I was convinced I would have to retain this cable from my AR2 when I purchase the AR3 in order to get everything to work properly. I now know that is not the case and you have some me some money when the time comes to upgrade. Page 7 of the diagram below is how I came to the conclusion that I came to before now.

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/StaticFiles/Manuals/Car/SPH-DA110_InstallationManual050913.pdf

Ah yes the good old instruction booklet :)

I'm confident that Apple will finalize Lightening control commands in the near future. (maybe iOS 7? or 7.1)   We'll for sure need the official cable then, assuming Pioneer comes out with a firmware update.

So for now it's just marketing & a way for Pioneer to make more money + possible future proofing.

I think it's pretty silly that apple has no lightning data/control options for car stereo's yet. (but I'm hopeful!)