AVIC411.com

Z1 died -- but it's running fine again

[quote name="johnpsc"]I'm about out of soap on this one. But, he said the resistor was removed at the end of the Z1 wire. I'm confused as to what purpose an isolated resistor would serve at the end of the Z1 wire. No doubt there's something there that's beyond my understanding. Obviously, the resistor was there for a purpose initially. Forgive my ignorance here.[/quote]

No worries, just keep an eye on your sensors, speedo, etc. Generally speaking your cars computer needs 3-5 days of bad data before it will trip a sensor. Let us know how it goes.
  • 2 weeks later...
As mentioned earlier...there is no resistor on the VSS line. Nada. There is one on the reverse sensing line and the instructions are pretty clear about not removing it. That would make me nervous. I wonder where he got his information to try removing it?? Maybe he tapped into a computer circuit for reverse that only uses 5V? That would make sense...but again, make me nervous he tapped into a ECM circuit.

Some of these installers are in way over their heads with units such as this and it would behoove Pioneer to properly train them or offer them a help line before one of them really screws up some expensive components on a car or leaves someone stranded in the middle of nowhere due to faulty installation. God help them if they did that to my wife....
An update ...

Z1 is still running perfectly. A problem with a recurring Check Engine Light turned out to be unrelated. The Lexus dealer suggested unplugging the remote display on my Valentine One, which was mounted in the instrument panel. It had always been a little flaky, and sure enough, I've not seen a CEL since I pulled the remote display.

As for the Z1, I checked every wire all the way back to the firewall as I installed DucatiBoy's flasher. Behind the glove box, I found a 12v wire to the unit with broken insulation. Very hard to see, but an inch-long slice down to bare wire. That could explain why the fuse blew earlier.

Incidentally, the flasher circuit was a simple install and works as advertised. Best $25 I've spent on this project.