AVIC411.com

AppRadio2 or AppRadio3... or something else?

Currently have a Alpine 1DIN HU in my truck but have room for a 2DIN.  Baffled by the technology can someone explain whether I can get by with one of the AppRadios?  Here's the deal:

I have an iPhone4, not really interested in the 5S yet so I'm sticking with this phone until Apple at least makes the entire screen active.

Primary Stuff:  I'm confused about using the combo of the AppRadio and the iPhone... for instance, I need some navigation, but I'm not pulling over to monky with my iPhone keyboard every time I want to look for a gas station, hotel or someplace to eat.  I also don't want to _lose_ my GPS routing when answering the phone or calling.  And of course, I need the phone to be hands-free.  I don't mind connecting the phone bc I'm the only person driving the truck, and of course I'd like to be able to access my contact list and select the call from the HU screen/controls, so again... I don't want to have to monkey with the iPhone while driving.

Minor Stuff:  It looks like the big difference in the Gen3 vs the Gen2 is the DVD/CD player?  I'm not bright enough to shrink a movie onto my iPhone so my grandkids can watch it if they're riding with me.  So I think I need one of those brake bypass gadgets and maybe the AR3 with the DVD player built-in?

So when people say the iPhone is "mirrored" on the AppRadio's screen, does that mean I'll see emails that I can respond to, an interactive Safari browser, and other functions like streaming my iPhone's music?  Also, with regard to navigation, does the AR3 come with real built-in navigation, or is it piggy-backing Google Maps or something like that?

I was in a friend's truck and he had a Kenwood DNX 7100 with built-in Garmin Nav, guess it gets updated by a SD card slot behind the face.  He said it was "older" technology and that I might be better off with a AppRadio.  So can someone school me on Pros/Cons?

Primary Stuff:  I'm confused about using the combo of the AppRadio and the iPhone... for instance, I need some navigation, but I'm not pulling over to monky with my iPhone keyboard every time I want to look for a gas station, hotel or someplace to eat.  I also don't want to _lose_ my GPS routing when answering the phone or calling.  And of course, I need the phone to be hands-free.  I don't mind connecting the phone bc I'm the only person driving the truck, and of course I'd like to be able to access my contact list and select the call from the HU screen/controls, so again... I don't want to have to monkey with the iPhone while driving

The appradio has an app on your phone that launches on your radio screen.  This will allow you access your compatible apps via the touch screen.  Once in a nav app like waz you will be able to look for hotels and type in address via the radio not your phone.  Appradio does support hands free. If you are on the phone I am not sure if it will announce directions.

Minor Stuff:  It looks like the big difference in the Gen3 vs the Gen2 is the DVD/CD player?  I'm not bright enough to shrink a movie onto my iPhone so my grandkids can watch it if they're riding with me.  So I think I need one of those brake bypass gadgets and maybe the AR3 with the DVD player built-in?

If you want to watch regular dvds the AR3 would be your best bet. For the bypass your are looking for a micropass. They are about $20  

So when people say the iPhone is "mirrored" on the AppRadio's screen, does that mean I'll see emails that I can respond to, an interactive Safari browser, and other functions like streaming my iPhone's music?  Also, with regard to navigation, does the AR3 come with real built-in navigation, or is it piggy-backing Google Maps or something like that?

The iPhone can not be truly mirrored unless you have your phone jailbroken and using appradio extensions.  It will only mirror compatible apps  List of the apps http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/AppRadio

Hey Guys... Thanks for the feedback and advice. I'd like to pick your brains a little more, but it looks like I'll go with the AR3 with the DVD capability.  So the key questions are:

1. Will probably order from Amazon... do i need to order a extra cable that connects the AP3 HU to my iPhone4?  What comes in the box?

2. What combination of NAV apps would I need to at least approach a comparable level with my ancient Garmin Nuvi 460?

3. Can I go to the app store and get the apps before I get the AR3 installed?

4. I may skip the backup camera now, but can it be pigtailed so that installation is easier down the road if/when I want to install? 

5. Any tips or tricks to the installation that would make it go smoother?  Does the mounting cage come with it?

Thanks again for the help. -Mike

1. Yes.  http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/Accessories/Smartphone-and-iPod-Cables/CD-IU201N

2. Any iOS navi app compatible with the unit will far exceed any older hand held unit. Some examples are iGo Primo (purchase), Sygic (purchase), Nav Free (free), and Waze (free) Be aware that some of these apps will  

need an in-app purchase to offer unit control.   

3. Yes.

4. Depends on camera but not usually. The reverse wire can be wire during install though.

5. No mounting cage. Its a standard install and pretty easy if you've done this before. If not pay someone to do it the right way the first time.

VBlue... Thanks so much for the advice.  Ordered the Pioneer/iPhone4 cable model you suggested, also got the micro bypass. May try an eBay backup camera, but just for kicks, I may put it under the hood.  My truck is a show vehicle and the underhood is all sorts of blinged out LOL.

DSC08507_zpsabaa7c10.jpg

Could be cool to see if there's a way to select the camera and show the engine running, but thats not really important.  What I'm somewhat concerned about... is connecting the APPRadio3 to my truck's custom stereo system.  I don't have a drop of Ford audio equipment in my truck.  I have a custom dual sub stereo cabinet built into the back of the cab, and right now its connected to my current Alpine head unit. So since I haven't had the unit delivered yet, whats typically in the box with regard to wiring?  One of my friends said I might need a "Pioneer to Ford" adapter?  Amazon didn't mention this, so what am I looking for?

And again... thanks in advance for your help. -Mike

Could be cool to see if there's a way to select the camera and show the engine running, but thats not really important.

As long as the camera is wired properly it can be done easily.

One of my friends said I might need a "Pioneer to Ford" adapter?

There should already be a vehicle specific harness connected to the Alpine unit. Disconnect the alpine unit and wire the Pioneer in its place.

As long as the camera is wired properly it can be done easily.

There should already be a vehicle specific harness connected to the Alpine unit. Disconnect the alpine unit and wire the Pioneer in its place.

On the adapter... the piece that plugs into the Alpine is a universal component that will just plug in?  Or are you saying cut/strip the wires and connect the pigtailed Ford end wires to all the Pioneer plug pigtail?  Is that what you did with your Scion and AR2? If I go to Best Buy would they have a ready-made Ford to Pioneer connector?

TIA - Mike

Pretty much there is a harness for all cars. When you remove your factory stereo you unplug the factory harness from the stereo. You take the add-on harness and plug it into the factory harness. The wires coming off of the add-on harness get wired into the aftermarket stereo (Pioneer) There is no Ford to Pioneer harness as opposed to a Ford to aftermarket/add-on stereo harness. So, in order for the Alpine to have been installed in the first place that aftermarket or add-on harness is already there. Just cut the wires where the Alpine and add-on harness meet and wire the Pioneer in its place.

And yes, Best Buy will either have what you need or will get it for you.

OK... thanks VBLUE... They had the Ford 98 & Up connector with pigtails at Best Buy.  We're installing Staurday, and I have all the parts and the radio now.  Next step is to figure what APPs I should be picking up to make sure my iPhone4 provides the intelligence the AR3 needs.  I gather the first APP should be the pioneer APP?  And for GPS use, do most people prefer WAZ or MotionX GPS Drive... or both?  And do they operate simultaneously as two integrated programs?  My primary use as mentioned before, will be to have hands-free phone capability, and GPS functions as good as my 10 year old Garmin Nuvi.  Everything else is gravy LOL.

Mike

Im not a fan of chrome, but that looks mint, is that the S/C Harley Davidson or the Lightning?

Im not sure if you know that fitting a double din in that dash requires cutting and Metra carries the right kit to trim out a double din in the 97-03 F150's http://www.metraonline.com/part/95-5818

The truck's a 2001 SVT Lightning F150 chassis #83 of 6783 built w/35K on it, garage queen that sometimes works and gets dirty, but she's stored winters. Most of the bling is polished billet.  Blower is a Magnum Powers not the stock Eaton, Plenum is a JLP Racing piece.  She's making about 440-450 to rear wheels.  Truck is dropped 2/4, rides on 20" Foose Nitrous II chrome wheels.  Has full custom Bassani exhaust. Loud & Fast... just like the TV show LOL.

bb7b24b6-6a72-44d6-a7e9-d9881fe3324b_zps

Thanks for that link on the bezel. Don't know where I can pick that up locally though.  We'r installing it on Saturday at a Mod Party & BBQ we're having South of Boston.  Would that be available at Best Buy or maybe a typical Car Radio shop? Or is it an Amazon/eBay item? My buddy who has a AppRadio(1) in his Lightning never mentioned the need for a bezel, but did mention that we'll have to use a rotary tool to cut some stuff inside the dash to mount it.

Mike

Beautiful truck, my reference to the bezel was from an f150forum.com radio install post, I havent installed a double din in my truck yet just my Lincoln LS V8.

They mention getting a gap around the radio w/o the expedition/Navigator bezel.

I dont have a chance with looking as good as that lightning but here is my 2k Lariat 5.4L, its a rust free TX truck.

newrims_zps5eb464af.jpg