AVIC411.com

In layman's terms...

Bypass = Allows video display while vehicle is in motion.

And full navigation features while in motion. I think this is WAY more important than video.

x2 I don't give a damn if my passengers can watch a movie or play video games while I'm driving, I just want to be able to change the navi enroute.

Just to say it a slightly different way out of everything that has already been said:

I would say that it's bypassing the motion lockouts. Most nav systems including the Avic series looks for car's motion (or situations where the car could be moving) and it disables some features. These features change with each model... but the Z1 disables:

Video on the Z1's screen (from a DVD or external input),

Address book,

Destination entering,

stuff like that. (there are more, but I can't think of many right now)

They basically come into 2 categories:

Video on the screen and navigation functions.

Some simple navigation functions can be accessed while in motion but some are locked out.

So you are bypassing the motion lockouts and making the Z1 give you every feature moving or not.

Video on the Z1's screen (from a DVD or external input),

Address book,

Destination entering,

stuff like that. (there are more, but I can't think of many right now)

Doesn't the address book still work? You can still enter a destination using the address book, but you can't search for a destination or enter a new one into the address book? Or is this because I have half the bypass done (secret wire grounded, parking brake not)?

Doesn't the address book still work? You can still enter a destination using the address book, but you can't search for a destination or enter a new one into the address book? Or is this because I have half the bypass done (secret wire grounded, parking brake not)?

Secret wire grounded does nothing for the bypass. I guess I meant your phone book. You can not make cell phone calls with your built in phone book without the bypass. You can dial a number manually and receive a call, but you can't dial from a preset phone number.

And the search for POI doesn't work either.

I was taking this from memory. I haven't had a non-bypassed Z1 since April of last year (I have Ducatiboy circuit SN 1). :)

You can not make cell phone calls with your built in phone book without the bypass. You can dial a number manually and receive a call, but you can't dial from a preset phone number.

Really? You can't make a call from your phone book, but you can do so manually? I don't have the BT adapter yet, but that seems completely back-assward! I would have thought that doing a quick search for "Mom" would be less distracting than typing "1 8 8 8 5 5 5 1 2 1 2" (Mom's an information operator for the phone company ;) )!

Really? You can't make a call from your phone book, but you can do so manually? I don't have the BT adapter yet, but that seems completely back-assward!

Yes I agree, I thought it was dumb too. But I guess they wanted you from trying to enter a name and phone number while driving... so they keep you from accessing it all together. And of course that keeps you from using it as well. One of my biggest pet peeves with the lockouts.