AVIC411.com

AVIC-7000NEX in hand

Good to know.  To be clear, here was my issue: you can zoom the map in the non-moving (select destination) screen.  However, when you return to the normal map which follows you as you drive, this screen does NOT retain the zoom setting.  If you're playing with your unit under static conditions (not driving), it will work fine.   Once you're in the moving car, the zoom won't hold for the normal scrolling map.

Also, do you have an iPhone?  Does Siri work?  I got literally 3 seconds of hissing as a response to any Siri query.

I don't know if it's the same on the NEX units, but on the Z150 you have to "register" the zoom setting you want to keep. I think you can do it if you hit the 2D/3D button.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just got a 7000NEX and trying to install.  Couple of quick questions if you would. 

1. The orange/white lighting switch wire, did you connect that to a 12volt lead off the lighting switch? 

I am thinking of connecting to a panel light that comes on only when the lights are on but it is 12volt and don't want to fry the unit if that will not work.  Manual is pretty weak in this area.

2. And the light green parking brake lead, was that to 12volts? 

If so why not connect to 12volts hot.  Yea would love to bypass the parking brake deal altogether but read the unit will sense movement and still fail to enable all features and apparently other bypass tricks have not worked.  (Would love to have dvd and backup camera ability while driving forward).

3. As for the reverse gear signal input (violet/white wire), again, is that 12volt, was going to try to connect to the shifter light that illuminates "R" when the shifter is in reverse but believe it is 12volt also, afraid of connecting 12volts to any lead that does not say it should be a 12volt connection.

Going slowly here to try to accomplish correctly in the SLK.

Did you install any type of SWC unit (steering wheel control) to enable the steering wheel buttons.  Looked at the iDatalink site but they do not make a unit for Mercedes, so going to try the ASWC-1 Metra Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface Module (but again not sure of where one connection for it goes and no reply from them yet).  Email support poor.

Thanks

I recently got the avic-8000nex upgraded from the avh-4000nex. The bypass posted by installereric works.  The nav section is nice for the most part but i to like to figure out how to make zoom adjustment stay. Here is a video of the unit along  with using appradio unchained.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=SlvPVmqzvKA

Unit will be nice in your SLK.  Here's a few quick answers for you:

parking brake bypass: this is expecting a signal that goes between and open circuit (parking brake off) and ground (parking brake on).  There's a bunch of info on google and elsewhere about how to wire a bypass.  At its simplest, you can just ground this wire.  This works on some brands (like Kenwood).  Other brands like Pionees are a bit more complex and looking for this circuit to turn on/off at some point.  For this, some wire in a relay into the circuit.  See Google for details.  You can also purchase parking brake bypass circuits from Amazon or ebay.  They do the same thing as the relay.  UPDATE: see other threads here on a means to disable the bypass via software.  Awesome this was found.  They way to go here.

Illumination:  Yes, you wire the orange/white wire to a 12V source which turns on when illuminated.  The wire you found will work fine.

Reverse Sense: The NEX series has a menu setting so that this line can be wired to either a switched ground (like the parking brake) or a switched 12V (like illumination).  Usually, folks tie this to the reverse lights (12V).  In my car, I just wired up a simple switch that provided 12V to this line when pressed.  That way, I can turn on the camera when I hit the switch.

Mercedes steering wheel controls: I used the Metra AWSC-1 in my SL550.   Worked great, very easy hook up. Only challenge was finding the appropriate CAN-B hi and low lines. The Metra instructions will guide you to the right place.

Hope that helps, good luck!

nav section is nice for the most part but i to like to figure out how to make zoom adjustment stay. 

this was a deal-killer for me.  Inability of the Nav to hold a zoom setting in normal driving mode was just stupid.  This was the majority of the reason I removed my 7000NEX and swapped it for a Kenwood.   Does Siri work on your unit?  It didn't on mine, that was another killer.

Thanks diablo2112 for all the assistance!

I got the AWSC-1 but mine does not have any Can bus connections in the instructions.  Maybe due to differences in the car.  My AWSC-1 does have a 3.5 male connector but they say connect to the location as explained by the manufacture - pioneer does not give any instructions except for the iDatalink which is not available for my car.  So contacted AXXEXX (Metra) - they requested a picture of the back of the unit. Sent them one, we shall see.

As for Reverse sense, wow, we think alike, I did exactly the same thing (ran a wire from the reverse taillight to a switch under the steering wheel for the backup camera) naturally have not tried it yet but glad to see that this train of thought will work.

Thanks again!!!!!

Just got a 7000NEX and trying to install.  Couple of quick questions if you would. 

1. The orange/white lighting switch wire, did you connect that to a 12volt lead off the lighting switch? 

I am thinking of connecting to a panel light that comes on only when the lights are on but it is 12volt and don't want to fry the unit if that will not work.  Manual is pretty weak in this area.

2. And the light green parking brake lead, was that to 12volts? 

If so why not connect to 12volts hot.  Yea would love to bypass the parking brake deal altogether but read the unit will sense movement and still fail to enable all features and apparently other bypass tricks have not worked.  (Would love to have dvd and backup camera ability while driving forward).

3. As for the reverse gear signal input (violet/white wire), again, is that 12volt, was going to try to connect to the shifter light that illuminates "R" when the shifter is in reverse but believe it is 12volt also, afraid of connecting 12volts to any lead that does not say it should be a 12volt connection.

Going slowly here to try to accomplish correctly in the SLK.

Did you install any type of SWC unit (steering wheel control) to enable the steering wheel buttons.  Looked at the iDatalink site but they do not make a unit for Mercedes, so going to try the ASWC-1 Metra Universal Steering Wheel Control Interface Module (but again not sure of where one connection for it goes and no reply from them yet).  Email support poor.

Thanks

Is there a CAN bus adapter for the Mercedes like there is for GM cars? iDatalink, perhaps? It'll give you all of the outputs you need...parking brake, reverse, speed pulse and instrument lighting without having to hack into wiring.

The parking brake does not go to 12 volts hot. It would go to ground. There's something else that needs to be done to bypass it, regardless, that lead would be grounded.

Actually there are 3 - 3.5 mm input plugs on the back of the unit! One for Aux (external video component), or (iPhone with 30 pin connector), One for wired remote input (sold separately), and One for rear audio output.  I am hoping the one for wired remote input will do the trick with the axxexx/metra steering wheel control.  We shall see this weekend.

Ah, parking brake to ground, thanks.  See the bypass instructions are now on this site, will definitely give that a try this weekend too!

Guess you cant paste a photo into this text box, trying to determine how to add it to the "My Media" area so the picture will be available.

If I can get the install completed will try the brake bypass and make a video of it.

Thanks.

...Map colors are atrocious and cannot be changed.  There's a setting to apply a "theme" to day and night mode, but only one choice is available on the menu (curiously labelled "dark").  As an example, for some reason most of my home town is overlaid with various flavors of grey and white "contour lines" for lack of a better word, except they're a solid fill.  Roads on this background are white....

I believe this option is under Nav -> Nav Menu -> Go > to Settings -> Navigation Map -> Map Display -> Color Mode (page 51 of the manual).

Terrible stuff:  

You cannot set the zoom level on the map.  It defaults back to whatever zoom it had when hard power was last applied to the head unit (don't ask how I figure that out).  I've spent a few hours trying to get the map to hold a given zoom setting, simply can't find a way to do this.  Nav overall is bad on this unit, nothing at all like the current Garmin and Tomtoms, of which I own several.

Isn't this the setting zoom you might have been looking for:

Nav -> Nav Menu -> Go > to Settings -> Navigation Map -> Map Display -> Viewpoint -> And you get Close, Normal and Far as your 3 options. Granted it's not as many as others have, but it's more than reset. Mine stays on Close no matter my driving, sitting still or turning on/off the car, etc...

Dimmer mode is confusing as hell.....Also, the dimmer only adjusts the screen, not the LED lights on the buttons.  You can dim these separately, but then they stay dim in bright light.  These lights should also switch with day/night mode.

How do you dim the buttons? I'm ok with them being dim during daytime as i can see the buttons fine, but at night they are so much brighter than the rest of my console lights.

Parking brake override DOES NOT WORK.  Unlike the 4000NEX (without Nav), my unit figured out after about 5 miles that it was moving, even with a relay-installed parking brake bypass.  After this point, it simply wouldn't allow many functions to be accessed unless the speed was below some low point (around 5mph or so).

I believe this is fixed with the quadrant trick pinned in the forum.

I'm pretty impressed with this unit over my AVIC-Z150BH. I have the 8000. The capacitive touchscreen is super responsive, super bright, i can see just fine in bright sun, granted i have an SUV and not a convertible. Got my dimmer at +36. I love the fact i can turn the clock off if i want. I hated the clock on the z150. This has a much nicer clock, but you can turn it off (well except for the Nav screen, where i don't believe you can turn it off). The capacitive display does have issues (like many others that are glass) with finger prints. They are quite visible during the daytime. But man this screen and system are fast!

The only other thing that the z150 supposedly supported and i assumed this one did too, but neither seem to, is custom EQ per input. The z150 manu stated that it could associate a different EQ setting per input (siriusxm, hdradio, iPod, etc...) which is useful to me as i have an iPhone and iPod connected and i use my iPhone for music and i use my iPod for Audible. So i can easily switch between them w/o having to mess with my phone. I wish i could store a different EQ setting for iPod2 so i could have my voice EQ for books and a separate EQ for music w/o having to manually change the EQ each time i switch. 

And for the LOVE OF GOD, why cannot they have the speed sensing volume adjust. I mean my crappy kia OEM unit had that. It has the speed sensor wired for better GPS, it knows EXACTLY how fast i'm going cause it complains that i'm going over the speed limit (turned the voice part off but left the visual notification). One simple feature that was amazing!

Also it acts like i can have more than one bluetooth device connected, but it doesn't let me add another. Weird. 

And for the LOVE OF GOD, why cannot they have the speed sensing volume adjust. I mean my crappy kia OEM unit had that. It has the speed sensor wired for better GPS, it knows EXACTLY how fast i'm going cause it complains that i'm going over the speed limit (turned the voice part off but left the visual notification). One simple feature that was amazing!

Ok. Apparently this is ASL. I didn't remember seeing this in the z150. But the 8000nex has ASL. If only i could understand what the heck it means by my options Low-mid-high. I assume high does more adjustment, while low does less of an adjustment. Not sure, but i hope so. Gonna set mine to Medium and adjust from there. 

Got the unit in!  Did the bypass mentioned in this thread, seems to have worked, drove for 11 minutes and DVD keep playing, even when the unit told me I was exceeding the speed limit, scared me at first, pretty neat.  Still have to ground the backup camera to finish that install.  Hard top convertible has no place to ground, even the lights are not just hot and ground (Mercedes can bus system).

ASWC-1 is working for volume up and down but the phone call and hang up buttons ended up CALL - changes mode on the unit, and Hang Up goes to Mute.  Actually like this better than just call and hang up so I am very pleased with the ASWC-1.  Was automatic to program - did it all itself. The 3.5 mm plug for (per the manual) a hard wired remote worked perfectly.

Anyone know how to post pictures.  Will shoot a few and upload if I figure that out in a couple of days.

Will be testing and see if others problems are present in my unit (zoom - map colors - siri) and try out some of the other apps.

Bluetooth working good for phone for both calls and music.  Even gets my calendar - photos - and phonebook from the phone.  Really cool.

Thanks to all who assisted with reply's to my questions and all for contributing.  Learning as I go.

Does look very cool in the old SLK.