AVIC411.com

Blown Fuse = Bricked Avic-D2??

:cry: Please help me out guys, i've had this unit for about a week or two and no problems, I did the brake hack and everything. Today the brake hack doesn't want to work. So I open up the dash and take a look. I can't figure out what is wrong, so I re-ground everything it was getting messy with all the grounds. So I put it back on, and it works. Great so now I'm putting it back into the dash everything is in there all good and dandy when I turn the ACC the AVIC-D2 fails to go on, however, my amps turn on. So I do a little more investigative work and relize the fuse on the battery + for the deck is blown. So I replace it, doesn't turn on now. If the fuse blew, wouldn't that protect the deck from damage? I hit the reset button in the front a couple times. Please help me out, I might only have a few days to have it replaced from the eBay location I purchased it from. Thanks!
fuses do not protect the product, they protect the wires. Double check the voltage at the plug of the deck with it pluged in and turned on(both red and yellow). and use continuity at the ground and make sure its not more than 3.

would that require a voltage meter?

ok.. calling all you brainiacs out there!! lol, i figured out it wasnt the deck because i put the power wire next to the battery wire and it went on. so i bust out my car's manual and look for fuses the radio one appeared to be blown, somehow there was a 10a when it called for a 25a in the manual.. so i swapped it out for a fresh one. still nothing. i receive no signal for the radio to turn on from the RED wire, i even directly hooked it up without the harness and nothing. if i were to use a voltage meter on the red wire for ACC while the key is turned it would read ZERO. so now i need some more of your wisdom to help me find out why this isnt working, and also if i could hook it up to the battery in the meantime and install a shutoff switch to disconnect the red power wire from the yellow. That kinda sounds cool though, radio with no key in the ignition. :D thanks guys! you own! :D

Ok sounds like you have another blown fuse somewhere in the vehicle. If I remember exploders correctly there's 2 or 3 fuses that in the end supply power to the radio. you can also chekc the pins in the harness you used. I've seen those on more than one occasion get bent or pushed out causing the same problem you're experiencing. Also make sure the ground is good too.

Ok sounds like you have another blown fuse somewhere in the vehicle. If I remember exploders correctly there's 2 or 3 fuses that in the end supply power to the radio. you can also chekc the pins in the harness you used. I've seen those on more than one occasion get bent or pushed out causing the same problem you're experiencing. Also make sure the ground is good too.

hmm, i definitely checked every fuse in the fusebox. the pins in the harness looked pretty sturdy and i freshly did the ground over again, like i said it boots up with the yellow wire. does a wire go bad? or what? because it can't possibly be anything else i even checked the fuses under the hood. thanks bro

Doubtful that the wire would be bad. You'd be able to tell if it was. If you have a meter check the accessory wire at the vehicle's harness. If you don't then try plugging the stock radio back in. If the stock radio works then you have an issue with your avic. when you say you checked all the fuses, did you pull them out and inspect each one?

Doubtful that the wire would be bad. You'd be able to tell if it was. If you have a meter check the accessory wire at the vehicle's harness. If you don't then try plugging the stock radio back in. If the stock radio works then you have an issue with your avic. when you say you checked all the fuses, did you pull them out and inspect each one?

I've put the old radio in, and it doesnt work, I didn't take each one out I only put a flashlight over them and inspected them. I even connected the ACC wire without the harness, thinking it was the wire itself. Nothing :( I'm lost for ideas I don't know what to do anymore...

check under the hood, also, something you mentioned early on which is a little concerning, that is the fact that when you turn the key on.. deck doesnt come on but the amps do... who did your wiring, cuz thats wrong, thats not how its suppose to be. I would bet that your wiring is shooty at best by your own admission of a mess. Fix the wiring, then you can go from there with fuse checking and such... does anything else not work like ac, or lighting inside, cig lighter??? if something else doesnt work, you almost certainly have a bad fuse somewhere else.. which would make sense if your wiring is a mess and cause all this anyways.

check under the hood, also, something you mentioned early on which is a little concerning, that is the fact that when you turn the key on.. deck doesnt come on but the amps do... who did your wiring, cuz thats wrong, thats not how its suppose to be. I would bet that your wiring is shooty at best by your own admission of a mess. Fix the wiring, then you can go from there with fuse checking and such... does anything else not work like ac, or lighting inside, cig lighter??? if something else doesnt work, you almost certainly have a bad fuse somewhere else.. which would make sense if your wiring is a mess and cause all this anyways.

yea, its definitely another fuse because my 4wd auto/high/low switch and cigarette lighter won't light up, i just noticed it today because its the only time i've driven at night. i looked up the fuses i thought it was "instrument cluster" but they were all fine. no idea, my next step is to literally take every single fuse out and check them in my hand. :( i just want it to work and be done with it, kinda becoming a pain in the butt.. no music, no time (phone screen broke) no navi. ughhh certainly didn't drop 1,000 bucks for pain and suffering lol. but things get worse before they get better right? thanks again for the help