AVIC411.com

SD compatability?

XC cards require exFAT.  Unless the unit can read exFAT formatted cards it's a no-go.

BTW do not attempt to reformat one of those cards as regular FAT.  It will appear to work but somewhere down the road the card will get scrambled with everything on it being damaged or destroyed.  The card itself is not physically damaged however; it can be reformatted (exFAT) successfully.

The issue is that SDXC cards have a funky bank-switching and allocation system that is incompatible with pretty much all filesystem heuristics other than exFAT, and if you try to use them at some point the card's internal logic will go insane and scribble on the data.

XC cards require exFAT.  Unless the unit can read exFAT formatted cards it's a no-go.

BTW do not attempt to reformat one of those cards as regular FAT.  It will appear to work but somewhere down the road the card will get scrambled with everything on it being damaged or destroyed.  The card itself is not physically damaged however; it can be reformatted (exFAT) successfully.

The issue is that SDXC cards have a funky bank-switching and allocation system that is incompatible with pretty much all filesystem heuristics other than exFAT, and if you try to use them at some point the card's internal logic will go insane and scribble on the data.

Looks like the largest card would be 32gb?

Looks like the largest card would be 32gb?

Correct.

I have a couple of 128Gb SD/xc cards that I use in my camera; they're exFAT format.  I also have attempted a MicroSD reformat to to FAT, run it for a while, everything appears to be ok for a good bit of time and then... oops.

If you write to it once and then never again you may get away with it, because the problem comes when you write to the card, not when reading from it.  But I assure you -- if you reformat an XC card to FAT and run it for a while with actual writes going to it you're going to get a surprise, and it won't be a pleasant one.

Sandisc explicitly warns against reformatting their XC cards in other-than-exFAT and states that doing so "may" cause data loss and corruption.  It's not a "may" -- it's a will, with the only variable being the number of writes you get away with before it happens.  The issue has to do with how the cards handle addressing; "SD" used byte-level, SDHC uses block (or sector) level and XC is an extension of HC.

When expansion beyond 32Gb was first attempted the expectation (based on sector addressing) was that HC would work to a 2Tb capacity.  In reality it didn't on a reliable basis, and so the XC derivative was introduced.  At the core of the issue was a conflict between how FAT32 works internally and how the SD card's controller has to work in order to do wear-leveling and maintain data integrity.  As capacity went beyond 32Gb the internals of wear-leveling and block management changed somewhat, and that was enough to cause problems with FAT32's I/O pattern.

So the bottom line is that if you reformat an XC card with FAT32 and manage to get all of your music and such loaded on it, and everything is there and works, you're probably ok -- provided you never try to change anything on the card.  However, I assure you that if you start doing writes to it on any sort of a regular basis (e.g. to update music on your computer) you are very, very likely to get an ugly surprise.

Thanks so much for the replys but im still not sure about 64+ micro campatability. Ive seen some on ebay that say SDHC but  cant find any in a retail that state SDHC only SDXC. Im thinking we are fixed at 32gb for the sd slot.

All you're going to find above 32 gigs is SDXC - Extra Capacity. SDHC stands for High Capacity and limited to 32gigs. I formatted to fat32 which is what the SDHC are basically formatted to. I haven't had any problems just yet with a couple of re-writes but tickerguy says I could or will. I had an extra card laying around and figured I'd try it. Its a class 10 and they aren't too much $$$. Eventually I'll try the 128gb SDXC but that would be a bigger risk. I have 3500 songs, something like 10 movies and maybe 20-30 music videos to go through before I get bored and feel the need to have more