AVIC411.com

8000NEX Installed

Pandora, aha, iPod, AvicSync will all go over the connection type you picked (USB or Bluetooth).

For instance I have mine setup for USB and I can only control Pandora on the HU if I have my phone connected to the USB cable. If my phone is not connected to the USB cable I can still pick Bluetooth Audio on the HU and play Pandora on my phone and the audio will go through the HU but I can't control Pandora from the HU. Technically I think you can play/pause Bluetooth Audio from the HU but you won't get full Pandora control. Hopefully I am not making this more confusing.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:mrgreen: hahaha no this isn't the Central NJ Pioneer Forum.  Just so happened tekki and I live in the same town.  I did my own install on my car.  I posted a write-up of my install over on the SubaruForester forums linked on the first post of this thread.

Like the install pics. What did you use to fasten the USB to the tray after you drilled the hole? Looking to do similar for my installation but want to show the installer what I want done. Might have to steal your pic. Probably going to get it installed in EB. 

Guys can you clarify a little on the whole USB/Pandora thing? When I get my 4000 to take advatage of Car Play, I dont plan to use the Apple adapter/App Mode any longer. I do however want to avoid BT audio. Can the phone settings be set to USB or anything else to take advatage of audio over USB? Please only respond if you have tested this. Thanks.

VBLUE42, ericvic is spot on with everything he said.  If you set it to USB you'll be able to listen to your music on your smartphone as well as control Pandora while connected via USB.  I think the confusion was when the settings are USB but you end up listening to bluetooth audio.  Since you are planning on avoiding BT audio, you'll be fine setting it to USB and controlling Pandora and smartphone music.  Here's the functions available when setting the Smartphone Connection to USB:

SmartPhoneUSB_zps80e36013.jpg

Like the install pics. What did you use to fasten the USB to the tray after you drilled the hole? Looking to do similar for my installation but want to show the installer what I want done. Might have to steal your pic. Probably going to get it installed in EB. 

Thanks.  I didn't repost it here since a good amount of the write-up was Forester specific.  No problem at all, you can use the picture  :mrgreen:

I got the idea from someone else here on AVIC411.  There are tabs on the sides of the USB connector.  Can't see it in my photos but If you look at the picture on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/PAC-USBCBL-6-Feet-Mounting-Bracket/dp/B002MW6HRO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1401939915&sr=8-1&keywords=PAC+USBCBL+6-Feet+USB+Cable+with+Mounting+Bracket) you'll see what I mean.  I just drilled a 3/4" hole and then threaded the USB extender through and the USB connector clicked into place.

Connect WIRE USB

Smartphone setup select USB

You control, aha, pandora, smartphone music from HU

Smartphone setup select Bluetooth

And you control pandora, aha, smartphone music

You control from the phone

It looks like it handles jughandles ok.  It's when it comes to making a U-turn.  It tells you to make a LEFT turn.  However, the maps view has it correct and showing you have to exit right to make a U-turn.  On purpose, I passed the U-turn on Texas road and Robertsville Road (rt. 520) on route 9.  Sorry for the grainy picture as I was driving home from work and was the only one in the car.  Plus you know there are always cops on the median in that part of Marlboro.  I guess I didn't notice it the first time since I was in the AUDIO MODE view and not the map view and was just listening to the navigation voice prompts.

So I went down 18 and Yes it happened to me as well same road, and it has happened with some other jug handles as well, I just never paid attention cause i don't really use the voice guidance much, too busy listening to music.

Another flaw I've found with navigation, it hasn't learned my route habits, and navigation is quirky. For me when I come down county road to go home all I have to do is make a left into 35 north, but the navigation tells me to make a right, go up to the next light, make a u-turn and go back north which is totally incorrect. I have left the navigation on about 10 times and it still has not learned the proper route. The navigation does take you some very awkward routes even if you change the settings. My Z2 was so much better in route selection. County road has been there for 30 years as Is the allows of turning there, so it's not a new road. My z2 picked the proper route.

Another flaw I've found with navigation, it hasn't learned my route habits, and navigation is quirky. For me when I come down county road to go home all I have to do is make a left into 35 north, but the navigation tells me to make a right, go up to the next light, make a u-turn and go back north which is totally incorrect. I have left the navigation on about 10 times and it still has not learned the proper route. The navigation does take you some very awkward routes even if you change the settings. My Z2 was so much better in route selection. County road has been there for 30 years as Is the allows of turning there, so it's not a new road. My z2 picked the proper route.

I had hoped that the NEX units were better at "learning" routes than the Z150. Waze seems to have that capability.

I did notice that when I was passing the U-turns (left turns according to the nav system), it would take me futher up where there was a traffic light and would ignore the U-turns without traffic lights.

Which route type are you using?  I have been using just FAST route type so far. I haven't tested the other route types.  Will try the short and others to see if any are better at routing.

Trust me when I say I have tried all the route types, I travel extensively for work and have selected the different route types just to see how well the nav works compared to how I would have chosen the actual rodes myself

Honestly short, but turn off side streets

Fastest is definitely not the fastest routes as some of the routes I've been driving for 25 years are the fastest and the nex does not bring me that way quite a bit of the time.

I've put about 7 thousand miles on my nex since I've had it installed and I'm hoping the learning curve kicks in. Sometimes I wonder if nex is adding the traffic ability to the route it choses even though connected services isn't working yet. That I know of.

I just drive my normal fastest ways, and use the nex for guidance when I am the area I don't know, I do love the alternate route pop ups though.