AVIC411.com

avh-x5500bhs to 8000 NEX in GMC

Hi everyone,

I currently have the avh-x5500bhs in my 2011 GMC Sierra. I have the Axxess steering wheel control and the Axxxess GMOS-LAN-01. Also, I am using the sirius svx200 on the avh-x5500bhs. I have the 8000 NEX arriving this week. I was just going to unplug the avh-x5500bhs and install the new 8000 NEX.

My question is, should I go get the idatalink maestro or just use what I got. Any advantage to the idatalink maestro on a 2011 GMC I need to consider? 

I appreciate all input on this, thanks!!

Since no one offered any good reason to buy the idatalink maestro, I decided to use what I had. For what its worth, if I not had the axxess harnesses, I probably would have bought the idatalink. 

After a few hours (I work slow), I got the new 8000 NEX up and running. Here is what I learned...

1) The 16 pin harness plug on the 8000 NEX is different from the x5500bhs. It looks the same, but the plugs are different. I had to cut the plug off and wire in the new plug from the 8000 NEX. It was easy. 

2) I had to reset the ASWC-1. Just pressed reset and pressed volume up. It took me 5 tries, but it finally took. 

3) I went ahead and attached the UBS extension, 3.5mm jack extension, and just for fun, I  also plugged in a spare hdmi cable I had. I figured I could easily add an adapter to the cord rather than pulling out the unit to plug in a device with hdmi output. I routed all cords to my glove box. Looks really clean.

4) I bought a USB to mini usb charging cord (not the micro usb). I plugged in that cord to the back of the 8000 NEX and the small mini usb to the usb port under the radio. Now I have a functioning usb port again. 

5) I added a rear camera. Of course, I plugged it in the yellow jack. A mistake, rear camera plug goes into the brown jack (not yellow). For the 2011 GMC Sierra, I found it easy to push the camera wiring through the hole that the emergency brake wire comes through. Adding the camera is what took most of the day. Running the wiring by myself on a hot day was time consuming. I am a bit over weight, so under the truck, then back up, back under the truck, back up again, and repeating that at least a dozen times made me a bit tired. Plus black grease and dirt from the truck frame. I don't mean to complain, just saying it took some time, for me. It was worth it. I got an oem looking camera, so had to run the wiring from tailgate to under the bed. It looks great. I bought the camera from ADC Mobile. $200.00 plus shipping, but worth it for an oem look (not on the license plate). 

6) Found a youtube video that showed me where the oem gps sensor would go. I just used that same spot for the pioneer gps antenna. I did peel off the paper and stuck it in place. 

7) I put the mic for phone calls next the the rear mirror. Seems like a good place for it. On my old x5500bhs, I had the mic just behind the steering wheel next to the hazard switch. Call quality was not very good, so I changed the location. 

8) I located the Sirius svx200 behind the glove box. There is a place where u can push the plastic tab up and the box drops down. Out of the way enough to see the oem Sirium unit.  I wish I had it a few inches closer to the stereo unit. I used 2 sided tape (3M tape that is white, thick foam roll, a few bucks from WalMart). Just stuck the svx200 behind the glove box on a flat surface. But where I just happen to stick the little unit, the cable from the svx200 that attaches to the 8000 NEX is the shortest of all the cables. But its in now, so not going to change it today. I used the existing Sirius antenna, bought an adapter. I unplugged the antenna cable from the stock sirius unit, used an adapter, and some electrical tape to just make sure it stays together. I did not want to break the oem plastic plug in case I had to put it all back oem. 

Now its play time. Going to learn what this baby can do. I hope this helps y'all, especially those 2009-2013 GM truck guys and gals. JUst wanted to share my experience. 

Alan