AVIC411.com

Video: Here's my assessment of Appradio and Appradio Live on my 4000NEX

Great demo!  Thanks for sharing; looks like we're having the same frustrations with AppRadio/Live.  I have to say, for me, they just aren't worth the hassle.  I would love to be able to use Waze and/or MotionX Drive but it's too distracting even when I'm parked, let alone on the highway at 70 mph.  Come on CarPlay! lol

I haven't finished your video yet but a few points. 

1. As far as that second nanny warning you don't like. You are seeing that because of your bypass. If you didn't have that in place and your car was simply not in park, you would not see that warning. That warning only pops up when the vehicle is in "park". The warning first shows with a greyed out OK button until you follow its instructions of toggling the parking brake, at which point the warning enables the Ok button and you can move forward. If you didn't have a bypass, you would be able to go straight to appradio mode after the first warning. 

2. That bar that you don't like, you can hide it. Press the home button (that button that you use to engage Siri Or return to the NEX home screen) twice in quick succession and that bar will go away. 

3. The new appradio Live app supports Rdio streaming which is comparable in every way to Spotify and in this case done fairly well by pioneer. 

Again I haven't yet watched your whole video but those are my thoughts so far. 

Further thoughts and hopefully helpful suggestions to make your experience more pleasant. 

1. Yes, pausing is neigh impossible when in other apps. It's an annoying aspect of the NEX line. On appradio you press the home button twice to get music controls and from there you could pause, but no such luck from what I see for the NEX. there is a mute button though, so if you must silence the room there is still a nice one button way on the dash to silence your car. 

2. The long pause between apps is not something Pioneer can control. Each app, when it activates has to engage the Pioneer appradio mode handshake before the radio will release the display to display the video. That time has to be matched to when the app actually switches to appradio mode, which is also dependent on how quickly it reanimates from sleep blah blah blah, it's a mess. You're utterly right. Every time you switch it takes forever. 

3. As I stated before, Appradio live already supports Rdio, and I don't doubt Spotify support will be close behind because in both cases it isn't Rdio or spotify making the section of the app for pioneer. Both companies (and beats too btw) have released apis so that app makers can incorporate their apps within other apps. Maybe in the future with iOS 8 and extensions, waze can create an extension that would let pioneer run a mini waze within the app or something. Who knows?

I really wish they could let you go directly from waze back to the appradio live app like it goes directly to the appradio app right now. I really don't like the appradio app. Half the time it doesn't even launch. I'm surprised actually that waze didn't for you that one time during the video. Waze has never given me an issue. 

Thanks for sharing. I almost went ahead to buy adapters for Appradio mode after seeing the Appradio live app. After watching your video, i decided to wait for carplay.

I need one clarification regarding the navigation from Appradio live to Waze. Does Appradio live dictates the shortest route to waze while transitioning or waze will go by its own route calculation. Just want to know the usage of those traffic information from Appradio live using inrix.

Thanks for the video review.

I too am underwhelmed by the whole 'Apps on your Radio!' experience, mainly for the points you highlighted within your review. Posters on this forum graciously helped me figure out (Thanks guys!) how to enable Apps and AppRadioLive but now I have struggled to find a use to even launch it on a regular basis.

But I have to be honest with myself as maybe I was expecting too much? I am a diehard Apple fan (ducks) with all the macs, phones and tablets and anticipation of Apple CarPlay is the sole reason that I bought the 8000NEX. Ain't that the most fanboy shit you've ever read? Guilty.

And then, you know what happened next, right guys? Well damn, I can't just throw a $1400 head unit (Or, 1k at amazon, I ain't that dumb) in with stock F150 speakers. How lame would that be?  .... we're gonna need 4 new Alpine 6 x 8's ... and a 1000 watt Amp ... and a sub ... and a .... $3500 later I'm loving the shit out of this booming audio system and still anxiously awaiting CarPlay so I can simply push the cute little icons and launch Maps, Messages and Music. 

I haven't finished your video yet but a few points. 

1. As far as that second nanny warning you don't like. You are seeing that because of your bypass. If you didn't have that in place and your car was simply not in park, you would not see that warning. That warning only pops up when the vehicle is in "park". The warning first shows with a greyed out OK button until you follow its instructions of toggling the parking brake, at which point the warning enables the Ok button and you can move forward. If you didn't have a bypass, you would be able to go straight to appradio mode after the first warning.

Yeah. The whole to-bypass-or-not-to-bypass thing is so nutty. The main reason I put one in is that I don't want the radio to decide if it's okay for me to enter, for example, the bluetooth settings screen. Or rearrange my a/v input icons. Why is everything but those things okay when I'm moving? It's arbitrary and IMHO dumb.

2. That bar that you don't like, you can hide it. Press the home button (that button that you use to engage Siri Or return to the NEX home screen) twice in quick succession and that bar will go away.

Well wouldya look at that! Thanks!

Thanks for sharing. I almost went ahead to buy adapters for Appradio mode after seeing the Appradio live app. After watching your video, i decided to wait for carplay.

I need one clarification regarding the navigation from Appradio live to Waze. Does Appradio live dictates the shortest route to waze while transitioning or waze will go by its own route calculation. Just want to know the usage of those traffic information from Appradio live using inrix.

I believe but cannot prove that Inrix sends the destination to Waze, not the route.

They

Yeah. The whole to-bypass-or-not-to-bypass thing is so nutty. The main reason I put one in is that I don't want the radio to decide if it's okay for me to enter, for example, the bluetooth settings screen. Or rearrange my a/v input icons. Why is everything but those things okay when I'm moving? It's arbitrary and IMHO dumb.

I believe but cannot prove that Inrix sends the destination to Waze, not the route.

Waze and Inrix are both run with user generated traffic data. I've rarely seen them disagree on what is going on on the road and as such they pick similar routes. In your video for example the same route that Inrix chose your waze app used as well. Don't have enough testing to know whether or not that was a coincidence.

Any time. As far as the appradio app with your setup just delete the app and switch apps using your iPhone. It's easier. I too have the pro lip mount. Also If you want to clean up your dash buy one of these from Amazon. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GP08858/ref=olp_product_details?ie=UTF8&me= I have two (two cars) and they not only work flawlessly but the build quality is top notch. Plus over time the apple lightning hdmi wears out in a position like you have it.