AVIC411.com

What Cables Do I Need?

Good Afternoon...

I recently purchased the AVIC NEX-8000.  I have an iPhone 5, but also an older iPod (classic model...not touchscreen) that is loaded with music that I may want to bring on a trip with me.  I will probably be hooking up the Sirius radio adapter and back up camera.  This unit takes both an HDMI and USB input, correct?  What inputs do I used for which feature?  Sorry if it's an elementary question, but I just want to ensure that I get what I need for everything to function as it should.  Any and all feedback is most appreciated.  Thank you.

John

USB Supports

- iPod Playback

- Pandora

- Aha

- CarPlay "Soon"

USB + HDMI Supports

- App Radio

- Mirroring iPhone Display

This applies to the iPhone. For the iPod, you are really just looking at USB for iPod playback. The iPhone should probably be hooked up to USB1, while the iPod i hooked up to USB2.

USB Supports

- iPod Playback

- Pandora

- Aha

- CarPlay "Soon"

USB + HDMI Supports

- App Radio

- Mirroring iPhone Display

This applies to the iPhone. For the iPod, you are really just looking at USB for iPod playback. The iPhone should probably be hooked up to USB1, while the iPod i hooked up to USB2.

Thank you for the response Kolenka.  I asssume that somewhere in there that I will need a lightning cable to plug into my iPhone 5, correct?  I assume I would use a USB to lightning cable?

What would I use this cable for...http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MD826ZM-Lightning-Digital-Adapter/dp/B009WHV3BM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404411676&sr=8-1&keywords=MD826ZM%2FA  ?

Thank you for the response Kolenka.  I asssume that somewhere in there that I will need a lightning cable to plug into my iPhone 5, correct?  I assume I would use a USB to lightning cable?

What would I use this cable for...http://www.amazon.com/Apple-MD826ZM-Lightning-Digital-Adapter/dp/B009WHV3BM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1404411676&sr=8-1&keywords=MD826ZM%2FA  ?

It plugs into your phones Lightning port.  Your Lightning to USB plugs into the right side of the adapter end and the USB end goes to HU.  Your hdmi cable connects between the other adapter port and the HU.

There's a diagram on page 14 of the installation manual.

Same setup as I have, you need:

USB1:

USB to Lightning Cable for iPhone 5, this gives you use of the iPod in the iPhone, Spotify, Pandora, aHa & soon CarPlay

The adaptor you linked to plugs into the HDMI cable  and give you App Radio & Mirroring (HDMI Source), and you can also plug in the Lightning cable for charging.

USB2:

USB to 30 Pin Cable for iPod

Some caveats, both USB ports use the same smartphone setting, so if you select USB you don't get App Radio or HDMI. If you select Digital AV Adaptor you get App Radio & Mirroring off the iPhone but will lose connection to USB2!

Annoying and hopefully something they'll change with a firmware update so they can be independent.

in order to use AppRadio, you must have the Apple A/V Adapter that you referenced. With this adapter, and smartphone setup set to av adapter you will have access to AppRadio, AHA, Pandora. If you choose hdmi as the input, you will mirror the screen on your phone, It will not be resized, and your head unit will have no control over your phone. That being said, if you have say, youtube on phone and turn the phone to landscape, it will mirror the landscape pic on head unit. Also you must have the lightning to usb cable hooked up to either usb on head unit or to a charger for this to work. The iPhone will not send video via A/V Adapter without  being charged at the same time. Remember when using A/V Adapter, there is no data transfer on the lightning to USB cable. AppRadio uses Bluetooth to communicate with iPhone, and data is sent to head unit via hdmi. So in short, iPhone to USB1 via lightning to USB Cable for AHA and Pandora and of course CarPlay.  iPhone to A/V Adapter to hdmi for AHA, Pandora and AppRadio(CarPlay will not work with this setup)  CarPlay will only work with Lightning to USB cable connected to USB1.