AVIC411.com

Steering wheel controls

I purchased a new open box AVIC 8000NEX.   I went to the best radio installer in my area.  He used RP5-GM31 to install it in my 2011 Chevy 2500HD.  He could not get steering wheel controls to work and was quick to blame it on the radio since I didn't purchase it from him.  Any ideas how I could test the radio?  Anyone else have this setup?

Does everything else on the radio function as it should? I would bet my savings account it's not an issue with the NEX, but rather with the PAC adapter he used. It could need a firmware update. Hopefully that can get it sorted. 

read some of these reviews on amazon: http://www.amazon.com/PAC-RP5-GM31-Replacement-Interface-Vehicles/product-reviews/B009P8A044

Otherwise I would tell him to take the rp5 out and tell him you want the axxess ad-adbox1 and aswc-1 combo (you will also want the adbox harness that is specific to your vehicle, probably the  AX-ADGM01).

I have used that combo for a few installs and it's great. There is a lot of talk on the popular GM truck forums about issues with steering wheel controls using a few different PAC modules and the AXXESS combo tended to be the best. It is all plug and play, no programing required. They also have outstanding customer service if you wanted to complete the install yourself. 

reading up on the rp5, i would guess they may not have set it up right. 

1.The radio select rotary switch on the side of the interface must be adjusted to the proper radio setting before plugging the interface into the vehicle (see next page for setting chart).

2.The interface comes pre-programmed for all of the vehicles factory SWC functions and does not require programming unless

you wish to re-assign the SWC functions or utilize short press long press dual command functionality. The SWC can always be restored to default settings by following the procedure outlined on page 3.Features

3.RSC buttons that are identical to the SWC will mimic the SWC one for one. 4.The LED will flash whenever a SWC button is pressed. 

this is from  

http://www.pac-audio.com/PACProductData/RP5-GM31/1_Instructions/rp5-gm31_instructions_091613.pdf