AVIC411.com

AR2 rear view camera - what to buy?

Hi,

I'd like to add a backup rear-view camera for my AR2. Pioneer suggest the NC-BC5. Someone on this forum suggested to me to look a Boyo's camera. 

But it is really a jungle in that market. I've been looking at this a few times over the last few months, and could never figure out what to buy. 

I own a Pontiac Vibe, and I'd like to have some recommendations on what and where to buy. I live in Canada.

Thanks

I have this one and it works just fine. Cheap, clear, and easy to install. Only thing I regret not doing is hooking it up to a constant power source so i can view it at any time, not just while backing up. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005Q65JHM?psc=1

I fond it on Amazon.ca at $40 CAD. Ordered it right now. At under $50 it was a no brainer, over that, I had to be sure it was good! And if you feel it is OK for you, should do the job for me.

I have a Vive which is a hatchback and we don't see very well when driving back. I also have a trailer, and it is a nightmare to drive back with it as we don't see it very well in the mirrors and window. A small backup camera should help a lot...

The camera is powered by any 12V source (not the head unit). I tapped into my reverse lights since they are close to the camera. The camera doesn't turn on unless the car is in reverse. But like the other poster I wish I had wired it to a constant 12V source so that I could turn the camera on whenever i want, like to see what's on my trailer hitch or to see if my car isn't on train tracks at a stop, etc. 

I would NOT get this one (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005Q65JHM?psc=1). I had that and not only did it get moved often, it only lasted through two car washes before the lens got all messed up. I had to trash it and re-install a new one. At the time, that camera was $20. 

I use a Crimestopper (http://www.crimestopper.com/products/safetyplus/cameras/sv6818emII.html). I did not pay $100 for it though. I think I paid $40-50. It's been going strong for a couple of years now. It's embedded into a hole you have to drill, but it looks factory and was worth the effort. 

The ones that mount to a license plate don't look that great in my opinion. They stick out like a sore thumb and just look like a lazy installation to me. Have pride in your workmanship and make it a goal to look like it came from the factory that way. 

The camera is powered by any 12V source (not the head unit). I tapped into my reverse lights since they are close to the camera. The camera doesn't turn on unless the car is in reverse. But like the other poster I wish I had wired it to a constant 12V source so that I could turn the camera on whenever i want, like to see what's on my trailer hitch or to see if my car isn't on train tracks at a stop, etc. 

I would NOT get this one (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005Q65JHM?psc=1). I had that and not only did it get moved often, it only lasted through two car washes before the lens got all messed up. I had to trash it and re-install a new one. At the time, that camera was $20. 

I use a Crimestopper (http://www.crimestopper.com/products/safetyplus/cameras/sv6818emII.html). I did not pay $100 for it though. I think I paid $40-50. It's been going strong for a couple of years now. It's embedded into a hole you have to drill, but it looks factory and was worth the effort. 

The ones that mount to a license plate don't look that great in my opinion. They stick out like a sore thumb and just look like a lazy installation to me. Have pride in your workmanship and make it a goal to look like it came from the factory that way. 

I see, the reverse 12V is active only when in reverse mode, which make sense... I'll try to figure it out. Don't know if we can use the 12V used by the head unit itself or it is preferable to get back to the fuse panel for a dedicated 12v...

The unit you talk about, you dig a hole in the car metal to get it installed? ichhh, I'm sure it does a better looking job, but not sure I want to dig hole in my car... How about water sealing?

I just took a look at the Crimestopper camera, and it does not look so bad to install after all. The kit necessary to dig the hole is provided anyway. And in any case, wiring the inside of the car is not going to be easier with a license mounted camera. I may take a look at this option. Cannot find where I can buy it in Canada. I just can find them in USA delivered to Canada via eBay...

Thanks for the pics. I read the online installation manual and saw the reference to the foam. The silicone touch is a very nice addition.

I should be able to. Install it on the back door on the left of the handle. I think it is in plastic, not sure.