AVIC411.com

XM Tuner - Using Existing?

I think that the aftermarket really needs to find a way to standardize OEM antennas or make adapters that won't have too much cable loss that you can run just like they do with the FM terrestrial radio antennas. I have an 07 Vette and purchased the SVX tuner as well and didn't like that I had to find a new location for an antenna and even run an antenna period considering there was one there waiting for me. The factory antenna didn't work for me but it would have been awesome considering on the vette the XM antenna is in the mirrors and I had to mount mine in the dash under where the old center speaker was located before I removed it. Sadly I get drop outs from something as simple as going under and overpass at 70 mph which really sucks but since there is no metal on the vehicle to mount to I didn't have many options. 

I'd have to see what the OEM connector looks like on a Corvette, but many OEM antennas can be retrofitted easily, without an adapter. Mine (on a Volkswagen Passat) could've been connected that way, but I opted for an adapter so that it would be easy to put the factory HU back in when I eventually sell the car. Any XM antenna will work with any XM tuner, it's just the connectors that have to be figured out. Heck, the OEM antenna in my VW is a Sirius antenna, and it works fine with the SVX200V1, which uses the XM satellites.

I think that the aftermarket really needs to find a way to standardize OEM antennas or make adapters that won't have too much cable loss that you can run just like they do with the FM terrestrial radio antennas. I have an 07 Vette and purchased the SVX tuner as well and didn't like that I had to find a new location for an antenna and even run an antenna period considering there was one there waiting for me. The factory antenna didn't work for me but it would have been awesome considering on the vette the XM antenna is in the mirrors and I had to mount mine in the dash under where the old center speaker was located before I removed it. Sadly I get drop outs from something as simple as going under and overpass at 70 mph which really sucks but since there is no metal on the vehicle to mount to I didn't have many options. 

My 07 Silverado oem antenna worked, all i had to do was remove the yellow plastic housing on the end of the antenna cable and it plugged right in. hard to believe the 07 vette would be different.

OK I recall why I didn't or couldn't use the XM antenna in my 07, in the convertible the XM unit is located behind the drivers right arm in the area called the waterfall, in my standard C6 the XM is located in the B Pillar over the drivers left shoulder. 

I originally wanted to mount the S-XM unit back there but the control cable was only 18" long and I wasn't able to find an extension adapter. After realizing what it would take to mount the unit in place of the factory unit I just decided it was easier to mount the new unit in a small space right behind the radio and mount the antenna above the air vent in the center console. 

Aside from occasional drop outs like going under and overpass, it works, not 100% but the install is clean and it's not terrible. 

post-123891-0-17715700-1416449649_thumb.jpg

post-123891-0-40992300-1416449656_thumb.jpg

post-123891-0-38905600-1416449657_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...