AVIC411.com

How good is Pioneer's routing?

A GPS unit is only as good as its routing. I've had GPS units with poor routing algorythms and they did more harm than good, to be perfectly honest. I'm talking stuff like, a GPS unit that keeps trying to get me to drive through a city rather than take the much faster beltway around town (and yes, I had it set on "quickest route", not "shortest distance").

So how good is the routing on Pioneer units (and the D3 specifically)? How good is it, say, compared to a Tom Tom GO (which has excellent routing, IMHO).

I live in Los Angeles, as anyone from here knows there are 90 different ways to get to any one destination. Not nearly as bad as NYC, but worse then any other city I've lived in (Boston, Miami, Chicago, Vegas, etc.)

It's dead on. I've only had it for 48 hours, but it's incredibly precise with it's directions. I've did 4 trips with it (multiple stops, I knew exactly where I was going each time) and I can't say that it gave me the wrong directions or route. It even showed me a few short cuts.

The "left turn ahead" could be a little faster in my opinion. It would be nice if the thousand dollar head unit would SAY THE STREET NAME like the $5.00 version of Garmin on the telephone, but .... I'm happy.

Actually, Garmin doesn't produce maps. The two big map companies are Teleatlas and Navteq.

I believe Garmin uses Navteq, which are generally better than the Teleatlas because they actually send guys out to confirm the data that the U.S. government mapping agencies supply. The Teleatlas maps aren't bad, though. They get the job done. They're just not as up to date. For instance my old ICN630 with Navteq maps actually has precise information for the roads/parking area surrounding Longwood Gardens in Pennsylvannia. The Teleatlas maps on my newer Tom Tom Go 5 PDA software don't have that information.

But I'm less concerned about the maps than I am about the actual routing algorythms. As I said, I don't want a unit that's going to route me through town when the bypass is much faster.

GF has a D1 w/ 1.3 software and I own an Alpine NVE-N872A. IMO Alpine is more precise. The D1 sometimes tells you to make an incorrect turn, and says you're at your destination when you're really about 100 feet away. Alpine seems more precise w/ better routing, but will cost ya. If I were to do it all over again, I'd go w/ Pioneer due to the cost savings versus my IVA-D310 & NVE-N872A combo.

I believe they utilize GARMIN for their maps?

I read somewhere that they do not do their own.

Correct me if I am wrong anyone.

Yup completely wrong. They use teleAtlas maps. I dont think a competitor would give them their routing algorithms.

I wasn't sure, however as far as giving them to Pioneer:

All a company like Garmin does for alot of Manufacturers is provide them with a chip with the preloaded data.

I work as a software engineer and I know some of our software runs on external manufacturing products and is oredered already flashed on to chip, and they basically are paying for the chipset and functionality and have no acess to how our chips software algorithms work.

Did not know, just know if your an electronics manufacturer it would be cheaper to buy someone elses technology, then to develop your own sometimes.

TeleAtlas does send vehicles out and satellites to confirm data. Supposedly the Z2 will be the most accurate map data ever released by anyone. In my opinion, up until last year, TeleAtlas was just a little behind the game in the US. They are the dominant mapping company in a majority of the world but for some reason Pioneer's routing wasn't up to par. I have definitely noticed an improvement though in both routing and mapping from the D2 to the D3. Only been using it a couple days so I can't say how much of an improvement yet

Actually, Garmin doesn't produce maps. The two big map companies are Teleatlas and Navteq.

I believe Garmin uses Navteq, which are generally better than the Teleatlas because they actually send guys out to confirm the data that the U.S. government mapping agencies supply. The Teleatlas maps aren't bad, though. They get the job done. They're just not as up to date. For instance my old ICN630 with Navteq maps actually has precise information for the roads/parking area surrounding Longwood Gardens in Pennsylvannia. The Teleatlas maps on my newer Tom Tom Go 5 PDA software don't have that information.

But I'm less concerned about the maps than I am about the actual routing algorythms. As I said, I don't want a unit that's going to route me through town when the bypass is much faster.