AVIC411.com

Could Someone Please Provide a Review of the NAV Functions

There have been a lot of reviews and comments on the various aspects of the D3 which has been awesome...

I have actually downloaded the D3 manuals from the Pioneer web site which I would highly suggest people do... They answer most of the questions...

However, I personally have never even used an in-dash NAV unit before...

Would someone be kind enough to provided a step-by-step review of the use of the NAV system???

I am particularly interested in:

1) What happens when you go off route??? Does the D3 just tell you to go back to the route??? Or, does it actually re-route you back to the route??? Or, does it provide a brand new route from where you are at??? The manual is very unclear about this...

Any other pros/cons or gripes/kudos specifically about NAV function would be greatly appreciated...

Thanks,

Mark

I understand... Thanks for the response...

I wish one of my local stores had one on display...

I know a friend of mine has some other portable NAV unit (not Pioneer) and it literally just says "Please Return to Original Route" or something lame like that...

If you are lost, how the heck are you suppose to do that???

I was just wondering if it guides you back to the original route, or if it does something lame like above...

Thanks,

Mark

First thing you do is follow the bypass instructions!

Putting your address is kind of easy. All the letters are alphbetical, not QWERTY which does take some getting used to.

Once you put an address in, you can save it for future use or just go to it once and that's it.

Accuracy? Most of the time it's off by 30 feet. Once in a while it's off by 3 feet. Sometimes she's off by 50 yards then corrects by itself after you drive a lil bit.

Reroute? It's kind of slow, not immediate (I hate to admit this, but Garmin on my Sprint PCS phone was quicker on the reroute) but it will not tell you to go back to the routh. it will recalculate the route then re-advise you to your original destination. UNLESS you are on a long road and passed the turn, then it will tell you to turn around.

Pros: Nice F'ing radio

Pro: DVD MP3, not really a pro because almost everybody has an ipod

Pro: DIVX DVD

Cons: Only one cd/dvd slot. D2 had two.

Cons: Price compared to D2, D2, portable Garmin, etc.

Con: Does NOT say street name, just right turn ahead.

Pro: Shows you street name on screen with city you are in.

Pro: Nice F'ing radio

Con: Somewhat complicated menu (not for navigation, that is easy, tweaks are hard to learn)

Pro: Did I mention it's a nice F'ing radio?