AVIC411.com

How's the Ipod Video quality on D3?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

dumb question, what does pod cast do?

It's a program that allows you to pick what you want to watch.. such as news, sports updates, mtv, etc...there's a lot to choose from. Some podcasts are only in audio, some are with video. All of the podcasts are clips, lasting from a couple minutes to an hour+. I never really have time to watch tv, so I just watch news and sports since they mainly focus on top headlines that are mostly updated daily.

Here's an example of the NBA video podcast. Quality is decent..

DSC00498.jpg

DSC00497.jpg

Podcasts are prerecorded. Think of them as a timer on your vcr/tivo. You "subscribe" to what you want to watch, and when the next episode becomes available, it automatically downloads.

Keep in mind that podcasts are usually much lower quality than what the ipod video supports. To give you an idea, all movies/videos you buy off iTunes have the resolution of 640x480 and 640x360. The equivalent of most podcasts would be half of that, 320x240 or 320x180. To compare, the resolution of DVD's is 720x480. Anyway, movies on an iPod should look bomb on the avic-d3, a lot better than podcasts.

Looks like i'm getting one today, i'll do a lot of testing over the weekend.

But the new 80gb (5.5 gen) has a brighter screen along with better search options to find your files. Scrolling shows a letter overlay of the section your in, and an actual search function that auto-fills possibilities. Not to mention... it has 80 gigs of storage.

If you're getting an ipod mainly for the car (like me) it doesnt really matter how thick/thin it is. It also doesnt matter how its interface performs, since you'll be controlling it through the headunit.

not if you wanna play videos off the ipod as you must select the videos through ipod itself. music mode will allow you to control the ipod through HU itself.

quality looks decent.. even better when the video is at 640x480

Okay, as a novice to all this technology, please tell me the "best" set up to get the best experience - and where do I buy the Vantec Avox? I also was wondering if I had to have a video ipod (recently bought a 2 gb ipod, no video and need to return/exchange it soon) and wondered if I had to have the video ipod instead to watch videos. Also, debating between the D3 and Kenwood 7100. Thanks!