AVIC411.com

D2 cage for D3 install

I picked up what I believe is a D2 cage from circuit city today and will be installing my D3 on Friday. Other than drilling the 4 screw holes on each side of the cage is there anything else I need to do to the cage? I would like to prepare the cage before the install but I am right to assume that I will have to set it in my dash before I can know how far out I want to unit to stick before I go and drill holes in the cage? Also is anyone else a bit annoyed that the trim piece that comes with the D2 is about 1cm too tall for it to fit flush all the way around the unit? I figured the fit would have been perfect but when I threw it on there I was sadly mistaken. Is the D2 trim piece a better fit and if so does anyone have one they want to sell me?

argh....i just got the cage. i thought the cage screwed into the unit. i guess i will call them back tomorrow and see if they have the brackets. does anyone have a pic of the d3 in a cage? is the cage supposed to have screw holes on the side b/c the sides of my cage are all solid

no holes, it mounts like cntrylvr said, if you screw the cage to the radio, how will you mount the cage???

dont you mount the cage with the metal tabs? so i am apparently more clueless than i thought. anyone with a pic can help clear things up. so where do i purchase the brackets? if circuit city had the cage do they prob also have the brackets? this is more annoying than i had anticipated...why do they not include the crap with the $1000 stereo....lame

yes you do bend the tabs to mount cage, but if you screwed the radio to the cage first than you cant get to the tabs once inside the dash, and if you mount the cage first, how will you screw in the radio? ......Physics!

ok, threre are two metal brackets that screw into the radio, that have four small holes on front tabs. then you mount the cage in the dash by bending the metal tabs, then slide raio into cage and mount with eight tiny screwa through holes in brackets into holes in cage. if cc had the cage, they probably had the brackets too, they are kinda useless without the cage, they just might not have wanted to give them up

i see. i guess from my point of view i was planning on taking the dash pice out. the i was going to screw the d3 into the cage. slide the cage into place. then i could lift the tabs from the outside of the cage. i can understand how it would not be possible if you did not remove the dash piece from the car. i will call cc today and see what they have to say.