AVIC411.com

D3 text to speech?

3.5" screen is what I use for my ipod.

Te D3 rocks! Navigation speaking, the D3 kicks Garmin's ass all over the place! I have both units and honestly, I didn't even notice that the D3 is not saying the street name because I am so amazed at the other features.

Two guys go to a restaurant and sit at different tables. One guy gets what he ordered, and the service is good. The other guy has a different waiter, who brings the wrong food, and spills food on him. The first guy says the restaurant is great, the second guy says it sucks.

I'm amazed at the different reviews for the same item....some guys say the nav is mediocre, and sends them on wild goose chases, and misses the target by a lot, and rave about garmin.

Now this guy says the nav blows garmin away.

What's the deal?

The Garmin may get you there sooner in certain areas. The D3 will get you there too, but on the way you can watch movies on that big screen, listen to your ipod, CD, XM, Sirius, radio, etc. and you can make it look factory so you don't have a thing stuck on your windshield or held down on your dash with a beanbag. By design, the D3 is intended to be a lot more than a nav system, and the garmin is not

The Garmin may get you there sooner in certain areas. The D3 will get you there too, but on the way you can watch movies on that big screen, listen to your ipod, CD, XM, Sirius, radio, etc. and you can make it look factory so you don't have a thing stuck on your windshield or held down on your dash with a beanbag. By design, the D3 is intended to be a lot more than a nav system, and the garmin is not

I agree with everything you said, but I'm specifcally referring to the Nav portion....that other poster said the the Nav blows away the Garmin....is that true?

the nav might be the determining factor in wether i get the d3 or kenwood 7100. the kenwood uses garmin based navi, but i have to see both in person to decide.

One factor that you're not thinking of when choosing between the 7100 and the D3 is this very forum.....look at the incredible volume of questions that have been asked here, regarding both installation, and operation....if you get the Kenwood, you'll be stuck having to deal w/Kenwood Tech Support, as there's nowhere that I've found where you'll be able to go to get your questions answered....and, as many features, and layers as there are on these things, you know you're going to have questions.

I know at least in my N3 that the raw capability exists but is not generally implimented.

What I mean is, if I add something to my address book, and give it a specific name for the voice commands, when I give the command the unit will repeat the name back to me.

Ex: I say "Stony Brook University"

The N3 then repeats "Stony Brook University" and proceeds to direct me.

I would definitely try them both out. The Pioneers have a demo mode so you should be able to try it out in the store. Not sure if the Kenwood does that since the nav is a seperate piece

the nav might be the determining factor in wether i get the d3 or kenwood 7100. the kenwood uses garmin based navi, but i have to see both in person to decide.