AVIC411.com

D3 install in a 2004 Audi A4

Hey all-

I'm collecting the pieces necessary to do this install, and just received the dash kit from Crutchfield today [details for reference below] and am wondering if the AVIC-D3 will come with a cage? This appears to be the only thing else I'd need - if I even need one.

I've seen things about getting a D2 cage - and if that's something I need - please let me know where I can get one quickly. I'm hoping to do the install later in the week.

My AVIC D3 shipped today so I don't have the box yet..... thanks!

AVICD3 - Abes of Maine $849 + 22 shipping

Dash Kit - Crutchfield $34.99

Antenna Adapter - Crutchfield $4.99

Wiring Harness - Crutchfield $12.99

Tools to remove factory radio - Crutchfield - $19.98

Thanks!

KB

Hey all-

I'm collecting the pieces necessary to do this install, and just received the dash kit from Crutchfield today [details for reference below] and am wondering if the AVIC-D3 will come with a cage? This appears to be the only thing else I'd need - if I even need one.

I've seen things about getting a D2 cage - and if that's something I need - please let me know where I can get one quickly. I'm hoping to do the install later in the week.

KB

Hi KBiggZ,

Unfortunately the D3 comes without a cage :(

I did the install last weekend in my 02 Audi A4 and this is the only issue I still have. When you figured out how to mount it, please let me know.

Thanks,

Chris

put a avic d3 in my 2003 a4, you going to need to cut the double dins dividor out, then there is another fitting piece that comes with the d3 that you will need to glue into the fitting kit. Also they will tell you the speed wire is i nthe cluster behind the steering wheel, ITS NOT, the easiest speed wire to access is behind the front passenger side wheel, not sure what color it is but there is only few...

i got the bose, and you do need to read up on something if you dont want the loud noise when you turn your car off and have your speakers blasting when the volume is up to like 4 out of 40

thats the only issue i have to resolve i am goign to be using PAC adapter, if you ordered your unit from crutchfield you can get teh pac adapter at half off

Good info so far....

What I got is what's in the picture.

Someone told me that there are mounting brackets on the side of the Symphony stereo I'm taking out, that I will need to screw into the side of the D3 - and that solves the mounting issue. I'd be curious as to whether or not people here who have done this agree.

Good to hear the Avic Trim Ring will work with this kit and make for a nice clean fit.....

Is it absolutely necessary to use the speed wire?

kerrys914,

I do not have the BOSE, so I cannot help you with the amp. In regards of the speed signal, I think you will not have it at the BOSE radio. Audi sends this signal through the CAN bus to the radio. My 2002 Audi had it at the instrument cluster. As far as I know since 2003 you need to get it from the ABS.

KBiggZ,

My symphony radio had brackets riveted on the side, so no chance to just take them off and screw on the AVIC :(

Since I am a mechanical engineer and have access to a tool room, I will built something from scratch next weekend, but I assume a double DIN cage should fit (may require minor modifications).

Best regards,

Chris

kerrys914,

KBiggZ,

My symphony radio had brackets riveted on the side, so no chance to just take them off and screw on the AVIC :(

Since I am a mechanical engineer and have access to a tool room, I will built something from scratch next weekend, but I assume a double DIN cage should fit (may require minor modifications).

Best regards,

Chris

Thanks for the head's up.

I have hired a professional, mobile installer who's coming to the house next Friday to install. He's charging me $250 complete, which isn't gonna break the bank and will keep me from busting something up. I'll make sure he knows about the brackets being riveted to the Symphony stereo.

Thanks for the help!

For what it's worth - Abes of Maine delivered my AVIC-D3 in a few days from order - it was $849. Very satisfied...

KB

• 2 weeks later...

your going to need the Double Din Cage no matter how you look at it, the audi and vw dash doesnt have moutning hardware like the rest of the cars on the market, because they have it built in to the stock radio, so buy the double din kit before your install otherwise ull be kicking your self when you have to wait for it to come in.