AVIC411.com

Jumpy DVD playback / unreadable disc

I've had my Z1 installed for about a week now and I'm still not quite finished (VSS wire, reverse wire, and backup camera, as well as a permanently-wired phone charger). The only problem I've had to far is with DVD playback.

It'll start off fine but as it gets to a certain point on the disc, it'll get all jumpy and give an "unreadable disc" error. It's at a different point on each DVD but is consistent on each DVD as to where it will stop reading.

Audio playback is completely flawless and the DVDs are scratch-free, which leads me to believe that this is a laser problem. Should I try one of those cleaning systems or will that just add to the problem?

Thanks in advance,

-TX297

I had exactly the same problem when I tried burning movies for mine. If you are burning these yourself it's probably your DVD burner. I purchased a new burner and my problems went away. You can also try burning your DVD's a a slower speed. Sometimes that helps.

Are you having this problem with commercial DVD's? If so your Z1 is probably bad.

It's happening with commercial DVDs... I got the unit as a demo and it had only been switched on for 2 weeks. Got a great price on it, too. I'm still within 30 days of buying it so I can take it back and since everyone's out of stock, I might get a Z2 as a replacement. After toiling over this install it just seems like a gigantic pain in the ass to get it replaced though.

We had the same problem with a Sony DVD player here at the house, but that was with burned discs. It did it with my Pulp Fiction DVD and my girlfriend's immaculate Family Guy DVD, so I know it's not an isolated incident. As a last-ditch attempt I might try a DVD lens cleaner and see what happens; I've got nothing to lose at this point.

My car is very low to the ground as stock and has a rather stiff ride. I did notice it get worse when I was up to speed. However, I have tried this with the car stopped. I specifically tried going through the scenes on the Family Guy DVD without the engine running and it still gave me problems. I'm picking up a lens cleaning kit tomorrow and trying my luck.