AVIC411.com

random reboots every 1-5 minutes on road

just started happening yesterday.... i figure one of my connections failed? i pulled the hard drive and did a full SpinRite and Defrag (needed it anyway) and the drive checks out fine.... ran the Z1 sans-drive to work this AM (radio only) and still does the reboots...

I'm going to pull it in the morning to check the wires, but wanted to check here first to see if anyone has experienced something similar...

Thanks! :?

I have never experienced that in the 10months ive had this unit.

It sounds most likely a wiring issue. probably the power wire being knocked around while you are driving over bumpers. How did you secure your wires to the harness? Soldering?

Was your drive unlocked? If so I don't know if those utilities would have much effect. Did you try a level 3 or level 4 reset, Pioneer would probably recommend those before removing the hard drive. But you lose lots of stuff.

yes, it's unlocked... a level 4 SpinRite will just give me a good indication (and temporarily recover) if the a drive is going bad... i then did a full defrag using perfectdisk (not for troubleshooting, just maintenance...has always improved the performance of the unit).

I'm still thinking it's a wiring issue... i was thinking of removing your bypass, since i added the BT update and now bypass using the other method... Would give me the opportunity to check the other wires as well..

All where soldered and heat shrink used....

Thanks.

This is something that has also happened to me. Not as often as you, but perhaps once a trip, but it is not a complete reboot. I will be driving (after about thirty minutes) I look down and notice that I have the pioneer splash screen instead of the map. The strange part is that the music or audio never stops, so unless I happen to look, I might miss it.

I have no idea why it happens.

its an '06 Honda Civic...

I took it apart this morning and could not find anyhting obvious.... i checked the resistance across all connections and they were fine.... the only thing i can think of is that a few months back i droped the one of the screws that fasten the whole trim piece to the vehicle behind the trim where all the mess of cables are... was never able to find it... if the screw over time chewed away at some insulation it maybe intermittently grounding-out a wire.... i still could not find the screww this time (it's really tight behind the dash), but i moved the cables around and removed the bypass circuit from the harness....

So far, so good.... have not taken it on the road yet, but will find-out soon enough...

Sam

problem *seems* to be solved.... still not exactly sure what it was, but did about 2 hours in the car today and not a single reboot (after it rebooting every few minutes before)....

My "missing-screw" hypothesis is still my favorite.... Otherwise the only other change is the removal of the bypass circuit.

Thanks for all you input.

Sam