AVIC411.com

HELP!! Draining battery

if you took both to be tested, im a little confused. why would you do that if you believed the first was bad? its clear you thought the first one was bad, that is why you bought the second one.

Also, didnt some place already tell you the first one was bad after checking it? if so, why not go back thee and complain as to why they told you it was bad when its not?

Checking the grounds and other cables is a good idea. But if they are checking your alternator at the battery, then there has to be something with their "check" system because how could it now be good? The only way is if the alternator is intermitently going out, which is entirely possible.

If you cant turn the d3 on unless the key is in, then its not the d3, plain and simple.

There is obviously more to this story then being told, the trouble shooting steps just arent making sense.

Update...I'm at one of my friends mechanic shop and we tested the alternator and it is good. But the thing is, the alternator itself is not getting sufficient power or something. There is a loose ground somewhere. Now we have to find it. Also, when I turn on the key, the battery light ad abs lights dont turn on initially. I guess it's suppose to. He also think I might have touched something when tapping into the VSS wire behind the cluster. Hopefully the problem will be resolved today.

Also, I took both alternator to test because the new one didn't seem like it worked. So might as well take both to test.

Thanks for all the help guys.

You guys will not believe what the problem was. Basically, I tapped into the Vss wire behing the gauge cluster. When I put the gauge back in, one of the plugs were not plugged in all the way. I guess the alternator is controlled by the ECU. It needs it to tell it how many volts it needs to put out. Which means it needs it to tell how much volts it is putting out initially. When the plug wasn't plugged in all the way, it wasn't getting a reading. When plugged in all the way, the alternator and battery both read 14+ on the voltmeter. As Borat would say, "Great Success".