AVIC411.com

Faulty equipment from Pioneer....

Well....kind of.....does anyone know if the inline resistor that is located on the reverse lead wire is necessary? I went through hell and high water to find out that the resistor is bad. I just cut it off and connected the two leads back together. Anyone disagree with this? Should I go to Radio Shack and get one? Is it really necessary? Thanks

the tech tells me that the resistor is necessary to reduce the amount of power going into the radio. So much that, that is why my test light was not going off when I tested the lead. Not faulty equipment. So...lesson learned...don't use a test light....use a meter!

• 1 month later...

I just took a look, and I think I may have been wrong about it being a fusible resistor. It's a weird color, but as far as I can tell, I think it's probably just a regular 1kohm resistor. Color bands brown, black, red, gold in that order.

You can get them at Radio Shack.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index ... age=search

Pretty much any older junk electronics will have a 1k resistor in it. They're very common.

Damn I was just at radioshack tonight too lol. 1k ohm resistor huh? In the book it says fuse/resistor but I've never heard of a resistor that is also a fuse.

So like if I don't have one is my head unit gonna die on me or should I just get one of those, throw it in line, and call it a day?

Ah, that's probably where I got that it's also a fuse! That probably explains the funny blue color (most resistors are tan).

Any old 1kohm resistor should work. It will be electrically identical, but won't blow like a fuse if there's a short. I don't know that you really need it, but the schematic shows it drives transistor inputs so the resistor would add a level of protection to the transistor.

The original resistor is Pioneer part # RS1/2PMF102J. They're out of stock, but the site shows the substitute is RS1/2P102JL and they cost 60-cents each + shipping which might be $6+. I'd probably just use a regular old 1k resistor.