AVIC411.com

ANYONE HAVE A VW OR AN AUDI?? W/Z1

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a VW R32 and I posted install pics in the post 'post pics of your install' And although I didnt do it myself I had a local guy from the vwvortex.com forum do it for me. That would be a problem for you, as he lives in NY but I think you would have better luck, quicker responses, posting on vwvortex.com. Good luck. BTW. It's an awesome system.
I've got the Z1 in my 2000 S4. Physically the install was pretty straight forward, but you really do have to bypass the stock amps and replace the door speakers if you have the Bose system, since it doesn't play nice with anything else but itself. I found that replacing the door speaks was really hard to do, since the Bose speaks are of some very strange proportions and 2ohm. So, I used the stock speakers, and utilized an amp that was 2 ohm stable, and it sounds great. If you've done a few installs in the past, then I'd say go ahead and do it, but plan it out, first. If you've never done it, pay someone.

[img]http://i32.photobucket.com/albums/d19/P3FE/PB240100.jpg[/img]
I'm interested in this too. I have a 2000 Passat with a tape deck on top, empty pocket and the climate controls on bottom. So the unit will fit. I have my Z1 already to verify that. I took the VW tape deck out, but I'm not sure how to secure the Z1 to the hole where the old radio used to be. I ran across this Pioneer part number in my Googling, ADT-VA133. It says it's a double din install kit for the Z1, but I can't find any pictures. Imola, how did you secure the Zi to the dash?
well, I have to admit- I kinda cheated. I had the D1 which came with a cage around it (like most aftermarket decks). I've got 2 #10X2" self tapping screws (@ the 3 & 9 o'clock positions) that secure the deck to the radio stack innards. Since the Z1 fit, I just slid it into place, and it's kind of press fit in there. It holds fine under hard launches in the S4, so, it's not going anywhere. Sorry it's not much help, and my digital camera is down for the count right now, so I can't take any pics. Let me know if I can help further.
  • 1 month later...
What kind of Vdub - Audi do you have?

I've got a 2006 GLI which is a pain because the electronics are all CAN-BUS.

But, despite people saying you need a $300 CAN-BUS adapter to get a speed pulse signal, you don't

The white wire with a purple stripe behind the insturment cluster is a regular speed pulse wire that you can tap right into with no worries.
[quote name="thread"]Here's a pic pf the D1 installed but, it's coming out this weekend for a Z1. I've since modified the trim so the inner corners are sharp and not rounded.

[img]http://web.mac.com/cvervais/iWeb/Site/gli_files/IMG_2205.jpg[/img][/quote]

Thead, Nice to see you post over here as well. I will probably be hitting you up with some questions on Vortex IM. I am ordering my Z1 today.
Does the cluster have to come out to get to the speedpulse wire??

Do you have sat module?? how did you do the antenna?
I don't want to add an additional sat antenna and want to use my stock antenna if at all possible. I have a pkg 2 w/XM.

Do I need anything other than the Metra 70-9003 harness adapter?

Dustin
[quote name="thread"]Here's a pic pf the D1 installed but, it's coming out this weekend for a Z1. I've since modified the trim so the inner corners are sharp and not rounded.
[/quote]

Nice install but out of all people, what are YOU doing with an ipod? Ech! :)
[quote name="dionga"]
Thead, Nice to see you post over here as well. I will probably be hitting you up with some questions on Vortex IM. I am ordering my Z1 today.
Does the cluster have to come out to get to the speedpulse wire??[/quote]

Yep, but it's just two torx screws and a good yank.

[quote name="dionga"]Do you have sat module?? how did you do the antenna?
I don't want to add an additional sat antenna and want to use my stock antenna if at all possible. I have a pkg 2 w/XM. [/quote]

Same as my car. You can't use the stock SAT antenna. I put the pioneer one on my dash in front of the center vent and it works great. I put the GPS antenna behind the insturment cluster so you can't see it and it also works great in that location.

[quote name="dionga"]Do I need anything other than the Metra 70-9003 harness adapter?

Dustin[/quote]

Butt splice connectors at least. And a multimeter comes in handy. To find the reverse wire just read my rear fog DIY in the MKV forum and it will tell you chich wires are the backup lights. You can tap right at the ECU and don't have to run a wire all the way to the back of the car.
[quote name="thread"] [quote name="dionga"]
Does the cluster have to come out to get to the speedpulse wire??[/quote]

Yep, but it's just two torx screws and a good yank.

[quote name="dionga"]Do you have sat module?? how did you do the antenna?
I don't want to add an additional sat antenna and want to use my stock antenna if at all possible. I have a pkg 2 w/XM. [/quote]

Same as my car. You can't use the stock SAT antenna. I put the pioneer one on my dash in front of the center vent and it works great. I put the GPS antenna behind the insturment cluster so you can't see it and it also works great in that location.

[quote name="dionga"]Do I need anything other than the Metra 70-9003 harness adapter?

Dustin[/quote]

Butt splice connectors at least. And a multimeter comes in handy. To find the reverse wire just read my rear fog DIY in the MKV forum and it will tell you chich wires are the backup lights. You can tap right at the ECU and don't have to run a wire all the way to the back of the car.[/quote]

Nice, I used your DIY for the LED tails and rear fog so I have that printed out.
Thanks for the help.
Dustin