AVIC411.com

ps3 power source?

Yeah, you'll need a power inverter. If you know what you are doing, you could put the inverter behind the dash, wire it directly to power, and fab a plug to just plug the PS3 and video cables in...

But that's if you just have to make it look clean.

when i get the power inverter how do i hook it up to the cigrette lighter spot with out using the acutal cigrette lighter hole.the reason i dont want to use the actual hole is because my cell phone charger is already in it....so is there a way that i can hook it to a ground or splice the wiring?

Again, if you really know what you are doing, you can cut off the cig adapter, install an in-line fuse, and then hard wire it to any +12volt connection that isn't currently drawing a lot of current (i.e. don't run it off the radio harness).

The wires will have a +12v and a ground wire. Some people tap directly into the fuse box, other find things that aren't used frequently like sunroofs, etc.

It's not for the faint of heart. You need to know what you are doing.

• 2 weeks later...

The Cig lighter circuit will probably not have enough juice for a 400w invertor: the PS3 draws 3.2 Amps@120v. this is equal to 384 watts (you might want a more powerfull invertor than 400w). Overhead aside, to provide 384 watts of power, the invertor will need to draw 32 Amps (at 12 Volts) - a cig lighter fuse is usually only 10 Amps. You might want to wire the invertor directly to the battery, and either put a rocker switch in, or hook it up with a relay attached to the cig lighter circuit.

Just my $.02 :)