AVIC411.com

Install on 03 Tundra proving to be difficult

So, after the astronomical price of this stereo... I was trying to save everywhere I could. Note to self. Saving money by trying to install things I have no idea how to do is not the smartest way to go.

I pulled my stock stereo out...

Checked the connections only to find I needed a different harness. After more research I found this to be a 79 dollar harness because Toyota installed some crappy little amp in my Truck.

So, I start looking into bypassing the amp and installing the profile amp I bought. This is getting more in depth than I had intended...

Oh Wait... the GPS needs to go on metal... so, let's pull the dash the rest of the way apart...

Um, where'd my dykes get off to?

Hey, this Ipod thingy... where am I going to stick that? Oh look... I have a Bluetooth thingamajig... that looks cool.

Crap, I have to get a kit for the amp now... back to RadioShack...

You know what? I called my local install shop. They promised me they could install it and all my components for less than 200. I'm going to go that rout. There are times to pinch pennies, and times to give up and let a pro stop you from screwing up your high dollar toys. Should have it in by next week if all goes well.

Just my 2 cents!

I posted the way to bypass the amp in the Toyota Sequoia which would be the same as the test for the Tundra as long as it has the JBL system. Just search and if help is needed let me know and i could help you. A 79 dollar harness?!? Your getting ripped off BAD! Just bypass the amp like the post for the Toy Sequoia.

But i do agree on paying for somethings. However thats how ppl like me still have a job... Nothing wrong with learning...

Just my .02

I posted the way to bypass the amp in the Toyota Sequoia which would be the same as the test for the Tundra as long as it has the JBL system. Just search and if help is needed let me know and i could help you. A 79 dollar harness?!? Your getting ripped off BAD! Just bypass the amp like the post for the Toy Sequoia.

But i do agree on paying for somethings. However thats how ppl like me still have a job... Nothing wrong with learning...

Just my .02

That depends on the harness he's looking at. Metra makes one that plugs into the factory amp plug and has enough speaker wire to run back up to the dash. $79 for enough wire to go from the driver's side rear of the truck to the radio cavity isn't bad at all. Too bad it's not the one with the factory amp right under the radio. That one you can unplug the amp and use those two plugs for the radio.

Wow, you guys are quick. ok, i'm out with the fam right now, but keep the suggestions comming.

what I'm installing into... a toyota tundra T3 limited edition. yes it does have the amp under the radio. found that by accident. I was told it would be behind the driver passenger seat.

I'll be back in a few hours. We're at thw drive in.

Dude do it your self then.. The 2 plugs that I belevie are plugged into the bottom of the factory amp should plug right into the harness you bought. Aside from that, the Kit I'm guessing you got already. The gps antenna works fine on the dash by the windsheild.

Speed Sense green/orange 4K instrument cluster, brn plug

Reverse Light red/black + instrument cluster, gray plug

merry xmas.

need any other info just ask.

Does anyone know of a harness that bypasses the amp for my aftermarket amp? I'm trying to splice as few wires as possible here. You're all correct. This should be an easy install. I'm a radar technician for crying out loud. But that's someone else's money I'm working with there...

Anyway, I'm still toying with it while I wait for the harnesses to come in. I may give it one more try before I drop it off at the installers. My main concern is getting the sensors all hooked up right. I know it's not completely necessary, but why not do it right the first time? I'm reasonably confident I can get the rest figured out.

Thanks again guys/gals.

So, after the astronomical price of this stereo... I was trying to save everywhere I could. Note to self. Saving money by trying to install things I have no idea how to do is not the smartest way to go.

Checked the connections only to find I needed a different harness. After more research I found this to be a 79 dollar harness because Toyota installed some crappy little amp in my Truck.

So, I start looking into bypassing the amp and installing the profile amp I bought. This is getting more in depth than I had intended...

Oh Wait... the GPS needs to go on metal... so, let's pull the dash the rest of the way apart...

Hey, this Ipod thingy... where am I going to stick that? Oh look... I have a Bluetooth thingamajig... that looks cool.

You know what? I called my local install shop. They promised me they could install it and all my components for less than 200. I'm going to go that rout. There are times to pinch pennies, and times to give up and let a pro stop you from screwing up your high dollar toys. Should have it in by next week if all goes well.

Just my 2 cents!

everything on my tundra was plug and play took less then 1 hr to install..

Erik

Just my 2 cents!

everything on my tundra was plug and play took less then 1 hr to install..

Erik