AVIC411.com

City to City search and changing color of map backgrounds?

I need to know if you can just do a city to city search? Like say Las Vegas to Orlando. Or do you always have to enter a street address? Also can you change the color background of the map. I have seen other units were you can make the map color black. Thanks for any info.

I have read the manual from front to back. I know how to turn it on so it dims at night. What I want to know is how to change the map from white during the day, to a black map backgound color. It seams like it can't be done. The night dimming feature does change the screen. I am not to kean on leaving my park lights on during the day to get a darker map. I just must be a feature that isn't offered.

As far as city to city, I do that all the time on mapquest and it has no problem finding a route. It just picks the center of the city you are going to. What happens if you aren't going to any particular address in the city you are going to. I guess you just pick any address in that town.

Not sure if this would work, but I assume the day/night mode works off the illumination wire in the harness...would imagine it gets +12 when the lights are on (map is dark), and nothing when lights are off (map is light)...

If you always want the map to be dark, my guess would be to to connect the illumination wire of the D3 to the +12volt switched wire...then the D3 would think your lights were always on when the D3 is on.

Maybe someone can confirm this would work, or confirm that it won't...I won't pretend that I'm an expert at this...just an educated guess based on how I understand it after installing my D3 a few weeks ago...