AVIC411.com

Audi A4 Night Mode not working... :-(

It uses the illumination wire for positive connections and dimmer for negative connections. The installer should have found that wire and connected it properly. Once you do that, the D3 automatically goes into night mode once the lights are on.

• 2 weeks later...
there is no vss wire in your 07 audi. i have an 06 a4, and i am a professional mobile installer of 8 years. you will need a canbus adapter. pac-audio makes one. however, its not really needed for todays navigations.

A4 and A3 electronics are completely different.. An A3 while its a full can/gateway car the A4 is not.

Oddly the A3 which is the same platform as the new Mk5 vws and has basicaly the same wiring harness and most of the control modules has apparnetly a VSS wire at the cluster, which is even stranger since the car does not even have a VSS the speed is calculated based on rpms and wheel speed from the ABS.

I did not hook mine up so I have not confirmed it but several people on the VW forums have said it is there on their gti/jettas. I meant to check it on my A3 when I replaced the cluster but was in a hurry

OK GOT IT!!!

Its not showing a direct connection to the cluster (this is for the A4)

But in the left kick panel near the hood release there should be a block of connectors.

Green 17 pin connector white/blue wire pin 9.

It shows it coming from the ABS control module or possibly in the past was for sending a signal from the cluster to the ABS control module. I'd have to go back and check the pre 2.0t diagrams but its late.

Even if you have a 3.2 that engine is still full can so it would be the same.

Since someone else asked for an A3

this is a little more tricky. The only thing I came up with was the circuit path for the VSS but its has a note saying not for usa/canda. so I really don't know other then people claim they got it working. This shows it coming from pin 10 on the ABS harness as a blue/white wire. But that is where it ends just the note saying not usa/canda.

I could have sworn that they said it was the white/blue like the A4 or the blue white.. Well I found both of those wires at the cluster and one goes to the coolant level sensor, basically just a switch, open when empty closed when full. The other goes to the fuel pump control module. While its possible the fuel pump control module could have a VSS signal I'd have to look into it further but it should have no need. The new cars are FSI which is direct injection they use a mechanical pump driven off the cam. But there still is an electric transfer pump in the fuel tank. The ECM varies the flow of this pump so that there is never too much fuel going to the mechanical pump forcing it to be returned as this is ineffcient. But I really don't think it would need the signal. I will try and look for the thread on the vw forums with the VSS listed. Its possible they are just getting some sort of signal that appears to be a VSS.

VW/Audi tech for the last 8 years.