AVIC411.com

How Good is the Routing on the D3?

Now that many of you have had time to play with your D3s, I'm wondering if you could give some feedback on how good the NAV routing is on these units?

One of the user reviews on Crutchfield mentions some significant routing problems, but I'm wondering if that's just an isolated case (perhaps due to old map data).

ive had pleasant results so far... ive tested it so far on 4 routes i take most regularly and its spot on for me... the only discrepancies ive noticed are where a neighborhood has two entrances, it might pick one over another in favor of distance

ill have some more traveling todo later this month so ill get to put it to use more so then

I just got mine installed over the weekend and drove around for about 4 hours with it...

My routing was really good...

I was pleasantly surprised at how quickly and accurately it re-routes if you make a wrong turn...

I took some routes from my home where I could take about three VERY different ways home(interstate, highway and back roads)...

It first took me the interstate... I went the highway... It re-routed in about 5 seconds... I then got off the highway and took some back roads... Again, it re-routed in about 5 seconds and was spot on...

In one instance I was taking a highway and I could turn either NORTH or SOUTH to go home... It wanted me to turn NORTH... So, I turned SOUTH...

It actually prompted me to make a u-turn where the divided highway merged... I was surprised by this... First that it knew exactly where the divided highway merged and second that it wanted me to make a u-turn...

But, once I passed that point and kept going it then re-routed me the SOUTHERN route instead of trying to get me back to the NORTHERN route...

Long story short, I am very pleased with its routing capabilities and its re-routing capabilities...

One thing... I know there is a setting for giving priority to SHORTEST route and QUICKEST route... I know this is based on average road speed...

So, you might try switching between the two...

Good luck,

Mark

In the "Route Options" menu you can change "Number of Routes" to "multiple." Then when you route to a new destination, you can preview up to six different routes and pick the one you like best. I think this is a pretty cool feature.

Agreed... I have turned this feature on as well and like it even BETTER now...

I cannot express how much this unit has surpassed my expectations for the feature-to-value ratio...

Mark