AVIC411.com

Custom Backgrounds Z1

There are lots of threads on this subject, but none that specifically address this particular question that I could find.

In the manual for the Z1 the recommended settings for the background picture size are "2 592 x 1 944 pixels"...

I have noticed that others seem to be using just 592 x 944 pixels. After searching through the sight and seeing other people's work, I noticed that they are using a resolution setting of 1000 x 480 on the ones I have found. It seems that most if not all of those were for the D or N series though. I don't recall which one.

My question is will those resolution settings work in the Z1? Is it really picky, or does it simply not want the resolution set too high. Also, if going by the manual... what do the 2 and the 1 mean in front of the max pixel settings? Normally I wouldn't ask, but there is a space in there and it's throwing me off.

I'm asking because I'm putting together a disc with a bunch of backgrounds I can select from when I feel the need, and I want them all to look just right with no distortion.

Thanks in advance. I should have mine installed in a matter of days now. WooHoo!---- UPDATE, It's INSTALLED!!!! Finally

EDIT: Once I get the resolution settings fixed I will gladly email out the backgrounds I have thrown together. I can't post them because most of them are computer wallpaper designs that I have altered to fit the Z1 screen. I like abstract artsy backgrounds... so that's pretty much what I am putting on my disc.

I have about 8 or 9 made already at a resolution of 500 X 240. I hope I don't have to change them up too much.

Edit 2: I added a screen shot with the backgrounds I altered. Again, I did not make these... I simply altered some wallpapers that I found here and there on the net. If you would like to know exactly which ones came from where... I'll be happy to send you that info...

Edit: 26 Apr 07... Here's a link to my Z1 backgrounds album. I do have a few logos and will try to fit them on for you. I've added a couple of examples of how they might lookwith your logo on it. Just shoot me an email. It doesn't take too long usually.

http://avic411.com/gallery/index.php?cat=15158

Later in the thread you'll find some logos as well.

post-5158-12872752226157_thumb.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The stock images on the Z1 are 500x240. So that's what most people are using. I'm pretty sure that any multiple will work well so 1000x480 should be fine. It should downscale it without trouble. The only problem with it is the Avic's stretch the image when you use this resolution. So it will get wider than what you see on your screen. If you search for 500x there will be another resolution that will fill the screen and not stretch it.

If you want to email me

http://www.sminntech.com/contact.html

I can host them on my site with the other ones I have made:

http://www.sminntech.com/z1backgrounds/

Thanks, I'll just reduce the size of the ones I already made. Heck, maybe I'll put the both on there and try them all out to see which ones look best.

In my limited experience, it's always proved best to use the proper resolution settings when rendering images.

I'll holler back when I get them on there and tested. thanks again.

I found the thread:

http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1906

And Cirbirus used 480x234.

It's close and it fills the Avic's screen with no stretching of the image. The stretching would not be a big deal with your images. They look pretty cool, but if they were squeezed horizontally a bit, no one would notice. But it was only a problem when I tried to do a Nissan Z logo and it was supposed to be a circle.

This image:

z.png

Needs to be stretched to this:

Zlogo_MiddleSized.png

So it will be an exact circle on the avic screen. It's not much but if you take a circle, when it's squeezed it looks a little tall on the screen.

If you use the stock resolution of 500x240 the bmp files already on the Z1/Z2 are. Cirbirus said that if you use what he has as 480x234 you can put an image as a perfect circle and it will look like a perfect circle on the screen.

Also an FYI, don't use the save as jpg feature in photoshop, the avic's don't like it. Use the save for web page feature. Somehow the embedded meta data in the jpg from photoshop can screw with the avic's.

I'll make some of both. I think you're right... the squeezing will not effect the images I have already.

You know... I wish you could change the "theme" color of the unit so you could match it to more customized background pictures. I could alter these to look really sweet if you could do that. I looked through the manual and didn't find anything that looked like it could change the theme.

I don't want to mess with the whole unlocking the HDD unless I have to. How cool would it be to have some of those backgrouds that blended into the Icons and such like mapping on web pages?

Oh well. Maybe later. Right now I have to get this sucker in and test out what I have already.

I can't post them because most of them are computer wallpaper designs that I have altered to fit the Z1 screen.

I'm confused... why can't you post them? If you can't post them, please e-mail them to me. I don't need number 7 though :wink:

you're right. it's one I got from one of the threads in here. like I said... these are a collection I gathered from various places. the reason I didn't want to post them is because they were sample images and when I altered them the copyrights where cut off. but I guess it's not that big of a deal. I'll send them to you shortly.

I'm still confused.... when you say "when I altered them the copyrights where cut off" .... what do you mean? Just curious. I like the abstract stuff too and it looks like you have some pretty cool ones in there that I would love to have.

I'd like to get those too. However, I'm still struggling to even get my Z1 to recognize any discs I have burned so far. Maybe this can't be done using an Apple Macintosh? Will I have to get a friend with a Windows PC to burn my images to a CD for me? I have used Photoshop, GraphicConverter, Preview, PictureIt, iPhoto and Quicktime Pro. I have made 9 worthless CDs so far. I have at least 100MB worth of data on the CD.

I'd like to get those too. However, I'm still struggling to even get my Z1 to recognize any discs I have burned so far. Maybe this can't be done using an Apple Macintosh? Will I have to get a friend with a Windows PC to burn my images to a CD for me? I have used Photoshop, GraphicConverter, Preview, PictureIt, iPhoto and Quicktime Pro. I have made 9 worthless CDs so far. I have at least 100MB worth of data on the CD.

What is the problem? Does it list the images that you put on the disk and then when you select one the image is not compatible? Or does it not show you any images from the disk to select.

You are listing image creation programs, that would effect the compatibility with the image and the avic. If you don't get a list of any of the images at all, then it's the way you are burning. You using Toast? Can it make changes to the format of the disks? It's been a while for me on a mac, but if you can have control over disk creation settings something should work.

If you see all the names of the files but the avic won't let you load them cause of image compatibility, then use photoshop and use the "save for web page".

At first it was that I was not even getting the disc recognized. Now the AVIC recognizes the disc. It even lists all of the photos, but each photo will always come up as corrupt. Sometimes it will say it is not a JPG or JPEG and that is how is saved, and it has the .jpg extension. I've burned the disc so that it is PC only. I've burned it so it was Mac only. I have burned it so that it was Mac and PC compatible. I've been told it may have to do with the way Macs create a data fork that a Windows PC (the Z1) does not know what to do with. I've burned the disc as an ISO 9660. I have made sure the subfolder is called Pictures. Images are not saved as tiff or gif.I can't even get to the point to see if the dimensions of the photos look good or not on my screen, and I have three screens to choose from in my SUV. :-) The Z1 and the two headrest monitors.

At first it was that I was not even getting the disc recognized. Now the AVIC recognizes the disc. It even lists all of the photos, but each photo will always come up as corrupt.

Make the images 500x240 and in photoshop do a save for web page and type jpg. And that should work.

Does Nero make software for Mac? If so, you might want to download the trial version of that or try another third party burning software package to burn the CD.

No I think the best burning software for mac is Roxio's Toast. I whatever you did to make the file list show up on the avic, do that. I would have guessed it was a cd 9660 iso, but I don't know. I'm sure there are tons of settings in toast, but they hide them.

also did you put in a 200 meg dummy file? Make sure the names of the files are in 8.3 format.

rapayn1 said he got the list of files to come up, so that's the first step. The fact that the avic says the files are not compatible means he is saving them improperly (too much meta data or something). Saving for web page in photoshop will fix that. At least that on the PC version makes a difference.