AVIC411.com

RDS and Station Text entry

Your reply was in response to satellite radio. You are the one who brought bad credit into the conversation. Don't attempt to turn it around like you didn't say that. It seems a bit ridiculous to add an argument about monthly payments to a topic about RDS text. That was and still is my point.

Scroll up, I said:

Addiction to things with monthly payments is why so many people have bad credit.

You're the one that's turning things around to have something to argue about. Never did I say anything about satellite radio by itself is DIRECTLY responsible for bad credit. Monthly payments is relevant when discussing satellite radio, which someone else brought up for whatever reason and also isn't relevant to RDS text either, so what's your point?

Anyway, for the original poster, I scanned the service manual and there is NO way to add RDS to the D1.

You need 2 ingredients to support RDS:

1. An RDS capable tuner module.

2. RDS support in the system controller IC.

Other models (N-series) had a EU version available which had an RDS tuner module and RDS-capable system controller IC. No such parts are available for the D1. I think the chip in the tuner module could be swapped to an RDS compatible chip, but lack of an RDS system controller makes it impossible.

LMAO you guys are funny thanks for going off topic. Anyway i had xm and they ran a loop. i hate that. Yeah XM is cheap but they play the same music over and over and i like local news and radio. The only difference i see is no commercials. RDS and text entry should of been put on there. Thats my point. Its about choices i guess. ::lol::

• 1 year later...

believe it or not lacking of RDS function in a TOP NOTCH devices like AVIC's are is or work of an idiot who does not take care to the technologies around or a companies stupid look on the market. For me RDS is a key feature for a car radio, in europe it does have its traddition and here in NA it should have too. The traffic info goes simply from RDS, radio station names, etc. Why in the name of god they could not add this feature to this pricey units, its just something that I cannot get. I had a N2 before, broke up coz of the bad DVD unit, tried Kenwood did not like the childish garmin interface, and even the whole UI seemed to me like a play of child. Switched back to Z2 but still lacking a basic feature like is a RDS, could someone explain me why ? Is the RDS so expensive to add ?Thats same as the first gen of Ipod Interface they made, completely useless, or sat radio interfaces, just a huge device that cannot do anything that is spoused to do. I want RDS !!! :D

Wow... this is quite a pointless argument you guys have going here. The AVIC doesn't have RDS. No amount of pointless arguing is going to change that. There's nothing you're gonna be able to do about it, so live with it and move on.

You can always order one from Europe, but everything is more expensive there so you'll be paying out the @ss for it.

Actually, adding RDS to a Z2 might not be as difficult since it runs CE. Supposing you could add the RDS decoder chip into it (not that difficult for anyone who can solder SMT components), you could try and see if the AV.exe program for the Euro model will run on the US version.