AVIC411.com

Help me D2 or Z1 quick questions

Guest longislandtree

Guest longislandtree
hey i am unclear on a few things and know you guys would be able to answer them in a quick second so thanks ahead of time.

1)does the video hack post for the d1 work on the d2?
does video playback mean i can put in a regualr dvd and it will play fine....will burned dvd-+R's play?

2)Does the z1 have bluetooth stock or i need module for my current bluetooth phone?

3)for both the d2 and z1 what is necessary to be able to play video while moving?will the flash lights work for both or is it better for a more "permanent" fix and if so what is each?

4)is the ipod functionality different on the d2 and z1? what is the difference...speed?interface?etc.?....because this is a main reason of getting also

5)overall if you have used both is the z1 worth the extra 500 i know this is a hard question to ask but i would like to hear why or why not? ie both can play dvds with the hack to d2 or ipod functionality in reality isnt that better etc

6)any idea if i need a special harness or bracket for a 03 subaru wrx (has double din stock) or can i just bolt it in after i wire it?

i know this is long but i couldnt find myself with solid answers for these after looking in the forums
I don't know the answer to most of your questions, but I'll answer what I do know.

1. No, you cannot play regular DVD's on the D2 at all. Not possible. The video hack only allows for the video input to work while in motion.

2. You need a module, I don't remember the model #, but it's been posted in the Z1 forums.

4. The iPod functionality on the D2 is very different. It's horrible, it's slow, it stinks. D2 treats the iPod as an "External Device". What that means is you CANNOT browse the iPod without interrupting song play. It takes a full 2-seconds or longer to just go up 1 or down 1 in the lists because it starts playing the first song immediately. It only displays 8-characters of text. The iPod is virtually unusable, it's better to buy an aftermarket cable that will allow you to control the iPod manually. The Z1 is significantly better, it has what is called an "Enhanced iPod interface". It displays full titles, elapsed time, etc. It allows browsing without interrupting song play. It is significantly faster. I've read reviews that say it's not that great either, but it's a million times better than the D2.

There is an aftermarket iPod interface called iPod2Car that tricks the D2 into thinking the iPod is an XM Radio. That supposedly allows browsing without interrupting song play and displaying full titles. One person on here tried it and didn't like it. I am trying to get ahold of one myself to review, but am still waiting for an interface cable for it.
I had teh ipod2car. It was great for shuffle play. But searching was a pain in the ass. One by one. no list of songs, or artist, to sear you gotta go thru all the a's, b's, etc. Displayed teh text which i loved.

I had power issues with it tho. When i turn the car on. it wouldn't leave off where i turned it off. it was supposed to. rarely it did. Also, when I would start teh car, the unit wouldn't be seen by the avic. I would have to change sources, and then go back to it. and then it would work. THEN you would have to find a song all over. it was a pain.

IF it didn't disable ipod control, i would of kept it. Cause i loved how i coudl use my steering wheel control (skip forward), and how it displayed text.
Yeah, you were the person I was thinking of that had one and didn't like it.

I'm not really too bothered by having to start over with a's, b's, etc. My JVC is that way and I can tolerate it, although my JVC can go up 10 or down 10 which I will miss. As long as you can browse without interrupting playback, I might be able to tolerate it. Well, I'll really have to play with it first to see if I can tolerate it or not.

Power issues would definitely bother me. Is it bus-powered? That might be the problem, the CD-IB100 has its own power source. If that's the case, I might be able to mod the iPod2Car and hope that works. Or perhaps there's a newer firmware for it?
own power. the ip port is just for data from the ipod2car. it had a power and ground wire. you are supposed to tap the 12v switched. then i called tech support, and they told me to tap the constant 12v. that didnt help. they told me to try diff dip switches, and a few diff things. i never could get it consistent.

sometimes it would work if i got back into the car 10-15min after turning it off. If longer than that, it wouldn't work. Id have to restart it from the avic. get out of xm ode then back into it.

searching i thought was annoying. you have to keep pressing next. one thing they could of did was rename the presets. you use the XM interface basically, and use preset 1 -6 as select, forward, back, etc.

Im planning on just buying the ipod wire. its basically na aux in wire, but an ipod plug at the end, and the other end is a ip plug. and then power and ground wire to charge it. but ill be able to search form the ipod like i am now with my aux in, with the belkin car charger.

good luck.
  • 4 weeks later...
Ok, I finally got my Pioneer cable and got the Ipod2Car installed for the past 3-days. I can already say it's a little annoying.

The browsing, although annoying, I can live with.
The annoying part is the radio is always set to OFF when I first start the car and I have to hit the SRC button to get back to the iPod2Car. It does continue where it left off though. I guess it's a lot better than the CD-IB100 and better than the generic cables where you'd have to manually start/stop the iPod anyway.

I wonder if your power issues were due to the iPod falling into Deep Sleep mode which it does after 36hrs?

I emailed their tech support asking why every time I start the car, the radio is OFF and needs to be turned on. I also asked why the M-CD mode doesn't work (only works in XM mode) while on my 7600, the M-CD mode does work and actually displays a nicer screen with time counter and title simultaneously. The guy just responded with a 1-line reply "It's designed to work like that". Nice.

The thing has an Atmega microcontroller in it. It would be really cool if the thing could be tweaked and customized, but I'll bet they copy protected their code somehow.
The reason your radio doesn't come on when you start the car is that the interface either initializes to an OFF state or initializes after the radio. The same thing would happen with the XM unit if you had it directly connected and powered with a switched 12V source -- the radio would initialize before the add-on interface, it wouldn't see the XM interface right off and would start OFF.

This is probably what's happening. Try a constant 12V source if you're on switched (watch current draw), or try to reprogram that micro! ;)
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I DO have it connected to a constant +12V source. The instruction manual does say to hook it up to constant. Doesn't seem to make any difference.

The iPod interface is really the only gripe I have with the D1.

I wish I could get ahold of the source code. If I worked at Peripheral, I could think of a ton of enhancements that could be done to make it better.
  • 2 weeks later...
CD-IB100II is definitely a waste of time with the D2.

If you want the iPod hidden, then get the iPod2Car.
If you don't mind it being exposed, then I'd just get one of those generic cables that adds an Aux In to the D2, but also charges the iPod and routes the audio from the dock connector (much better than getting audio from the headphone jack).

I used the iPod2Car on a 2000+ mile trip and it worked perfectly the whole time. I've had no power issues, it displays titles, and the best part is it allows browsing without interrupting song play whereas the IB100II does not. My main annoyance with it is that it starts in OFF mode every time you turn on the car and have to press SRC to start it. I also wish there was a way skip ahead when browsing. If you want to get to the 70th playlist, you have to click the button 70-times.