AVIC411.com

First ever install, do I have it right?

So I am going to do my first ever install tomorrow by myself--you guys make it sound so easy. So here's what I plan to do:

Disconnect the negative from the car battery.

1) I already switched the mute wire location for the bypass (excellent info on this site esp the flash demo)

2) I will solder and tape the wires from the D3 power connector to the appropriate wires on the wiring harness

3) I will cut the parking break wire red connector thingy and strip it then solder it along with the ground wire from the power connector both to the ground wire on the wiring harness.

4) I will figure out where the pink VSS and violet/white reverse wire go and probably clamp them with the red connector thingies.

I'm mostly done? I'll just mount the gps on the dash, mount the xm antenna on the trunk with the receiver in the trunk (if at all possible I would like to mount this inside the car, but misfit says that doesn't work well), and plug them in. Then I'll just plug in the harness, secure it to the dash kit and stick it in. Done deal?

Seems easy enough.

I'm mostly concerned about 3--do I ground the parking break wire AND connect it to the parking break or just ground it? It sounds like you're all saying to just ground it.

THANKS!!!

Just ground the parking brake wire to the ground wire in the harness. This will make the D3 think you have the brake applies at all times. If you are adding accessories like satellite radio or a backup camera tap some extra wires to the acc 12V and battery always on connections as they need power as well.

Nice to see that your going to solder. Much better than the crimp connectors. However, if you going to take the time, forget tape, get heatshrinks. You can get an entire bag at radio shack for a couple dollars.

The work and hold up much better than tape. They also don't leave sticky residue.

Tips:

1. Practice soldering (if you've never soldered wires before).

2. Definitely get heatshrink tubing.

3. Be sure you know which illumination wire to use. Some cars vary

4. Go ahead and make backup copies of your Nav discs (if you have a DL burner)

For those who are interested--the Crutchfield tech answered my question--

The orange/white illum LED from the pioneer goes on the orange LED on the aftermarket wiring adapter, NOT orange/white--it's the only wire that doesn't match.

Also, they said I don't have to connect the blue wire--is that right?

Also, I tapped my ground connection between the two wire harnesses with the parking break wiretap, is that right? For the bypass?