AVIC411.com

D3 vs. D2 comparison

For those of you who have either unit, or both, I'd love to hear your thoughts on these two HUs. I'm sure some of you went through the same delimma I'm having right now. The Z1 is too expensive and the D2 and D3 both have their relative advantages.

The D2 was originally a much more expensive unit and is a bit older, but also somewhat cheaper now (approx. $550-600 vs. $700-750 for the D3).

D2:

- 6.5" screen

- 2 disc slots for continuous navi

- matte finish matching the 02 interior trim a bit more

- autodim screen brightness

D3:

- 6.1" screen

- single disc

- custom button illumination & background images

- newer hardware & software

- BT compatible

- plays movies (dvd, xvid, divx,...)

- gloss black finish

- front AUX input

I haven't seen either unit in person (only the D1), so any input would be useful. I'll be installing this into an 02 altima w/ bose.

D

I had a D1 (with D2 disks), now have a D3. I wouldn't go back for anything. I only listen to XM, Sirius, and my ipod so I have no need to ever take the nav disk out. The bluetooth and ipod difference alone makes the D3 worth the money, but I also like the volume knob (took too long to raise and lower the volume on the D1,) also like that the D3 responds quicker to pressing buttons in the menu, and the sirius display looks far nicer than before. I am sure there are other things I am forgetting but my vote is for the D3

I love my D-2. I too had the same delema a few months ago and am happy with the decision of the D-2. I don't have back seat monitors and would never think about trying to watch a DVD myself while driving so the DVD feature was a non issue. I like the way the D-2 has an adustable tilt. I don't think the 3 does that. The Bluetooth might be nice, but I just don't use my Cell enough for that iether. Good luck!

I also was looking at the D2 vs. D3.

I ended up getting the D3.

Like someone else said with my iPod connected I never take the Nav disc out.

The single cable connection for the iPod was also a selling point of the D3 for me.

I don't watch DVD's while driving but the ability to have my passengers watch movies is what sold me on the D3.

At first I thought that glare would be an issue with the D3 and I was leaning towards the D2.

After having the D3 installed my fears were uncalled for.

Since both units are considerably more expensive than the average headunit I wanted to go with the most up to date unit.