AVIC411.com

D3 Output Voltage versus Gain Settings

Okay, so I finally added an amplifier to my system. I'm running a D3, and I added a Zapco DC650.6 to increase the power. I'm using the Symbilink connectors at +0db from the front and non-fading outputs. The head unit is set at flat, no bass boost, nothing.

Playing various CDs from the head unit the output voltage seems really low. I have the gain set a 400mv (on the Zapco you can dial it in exactly) and it doesn't seem to be hitting max volume even dialed to 40.

Anybody taken any measurements of the outputs to see what's up or have an idea about their gain settings?

• 2 weeks later...

Another nag on the D3 output, it seem over about 26-28 on the knob (with all internal settings flat) the output gets a bit noisy. Just listening to zero bits, you can easily pick up a point where the background goes from quiet to noisy. So I guess the usable output voltage on the D3 is very very weak indeed.

This is with the CD drive and SLA set to zero (0). I'm going to have to hook up the scope and see if adjusting the SLA value increases the output voltage of the sources I use (CD, iPod) without adding any noise or clipping on the output signal.