AVIC411.com

Creative ways to integrate OnStar into D3?

So I just ordered my D3 yesterday and looking forward to having Nav again. Getting D3, BT adapter, XM NavTraffic tuner (from before), Sirius, and iPod adapter. Had a D1 for a while, then went to an Alpine W200 without Nav, and now back to Pio and the D3. The problem is, I hate how OnStar is handled! Right now, my Buick Rainier ('04) has Peripheral GMAH24 and GMAHCM units installed, along with the H/U feeding aftermarket amps and speakers. I used the original dash tweeters as the OnStar speakers, and have them mounted under the dash, utilizing the Mute function of the W200 (and before that the D1).

I had looked at using another module on the Alpine setup, the KC-801B, which would take RCA inputs and feed them to the AiNet. It has a trigger wire, which I was going to hook up to the Peripheral stuff, so that it wasnt really muting the Alpine, but rather just shifting to another "source". I assumed this would work, but never got around to trying it.

The question is, is there any way to do this on the D3? I think something like a CDRB10 aux input adapter could be used (after converting the low level outputs of the Peripheral adapter to RCA), but I dont see any way to trigger that input to be active. Is there another way to do somthing like this?

What if I were to use some sort of RCA Y adapter for the amp's front channel inputs, as well as a low level adapter. Feed both the D3 front outputs and the converted OnStar outputs into the Y adapter, and then pipe that into the amp? I would have to utilize the Mute wire, but in theory wouldnt the amp only be getting signal from one or the at a time (so no risk of overload or anything?). With this I might have to abandon the Chime module, but thats no great loss.

Anyone else have any ideas or recommendations (other than nuking OnStar completely!)?

What you're looking to do is possible in a round about way. You're going to need 5 relays and a lineout convertor, some cheap rcas, and rca barrel connectors. Don't really have the time to get into the wiring right now, I'll post that bit up tomorrow if you want.

Sure, if you have time, I would certainly like to see what all is involved. The biggest concern is how to handle the triggering of OnStar automagically. Maybe its better not to do it at all? For instance, if I am talking on my cellphone via the BT module, and OnStar rings for some reason, bye bye cell phone call. Might be easier to just line level convert the GMAH24 signal into RCA's and feed it to a Aux In adapter, and manually select it when needed. Of course in this setup, I would never know if/when OnStar rings.

Ok so here goes. First make sure that the interface you use for offstar has a mute output. Assuming it does, you'll need to wire everything up like this.

Lineout convertor gets wired up to the front speaker outputs of the offstar interface. Now for the fun part

Relay #1

85 - to cell mute output of interface

86 - +12volts constant

87 - ground

30 - Output to all of the following relays.

Relay #2

85 - input from relay #1

86 - +12volts constant

87a - left front + rca from d3

87 - left front + rca from lineout convertor

30 - Left front + rca output to amp

Relay #3

85 - input from relay #1

86 - +12volts constant

87a - left front - rca from d3

87 - left front - rca from lineout convertor

30 - Left front - rca output to amp

Relay#4

85 - input from relay #1

86 - +12volts constant

87a - Right front + rca from d3

87 - right front + rca from lineout convertor

30 - right front + rca output to amp

Relay #5

85 - input from relay #1

86 - +12volts constant

87a - Right front - rca from d3

87 - right front - rca from lineout convertor

30 - right front - rca output to amp

Have fun, it's quite a bit of wiring to do it though.

Thanks for the relay map!

I was just reading the manual for the Pio BT module, and it got me to thinking. In the manual it mentions support for 5 phones at a time. I wonder how difficult it would be to convert the OnStar system into a bluetooth device, something that would mimic a BT phone, and then wouldnt it be able to register on the BT module as a 2nd phone, allow for user selection from the D3 screen, hear incoming call rings, etc? Maybe thats just not possible, but certainly sounds interesting!

• 2 weeks later...

dear Kirby692,

i have 06 rainier and installing D2. but, i'm not sure about wiring.

could you tell me where VSS and reverse wires located?

your ride and mine's wiring can be different but at least i can get an idea, right?

please, help me out. thank you.

dear Kirby692,

i have 06 rainier and installing D2. but, i'm not sure about wiring.

could you tell me where VSS and reverse wires located?

your ride and mine's wiring can be different but at least i can get an idea, right?

please, help me out. thank you.

What motor do you have? If it is the 4.2 L I6 then it should be the same as all GM, such as envoy, trailblazer and such. The VSS wire is on the PCM, which is mounted on the Drivers Side of the Engine (3 connectors side by side BLK/BLK/BLU). It is pin 32, DK Green/White on the Blue Connector. Reverse wire is the Light Green wire in the Fuse Box under the Left Rear Seat

thank you so much for your help.

i could find both wires. i'm so excited to hook it up now.....

btw, i found an another dark green/white wire in 32pin under the rear seat in the fuse box. is it the same VSS wire such as under the hood?

if it is, installation would be much easier.

thank you again.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a new C6 Corvette that came with the Blose system and I am using the very same Peripheral modules that you are for my OnStar. However, I simply wired up the OnStar to the center channel of the "no-longer-existing" Blose system. Man that paper Blose speaker sure is cheap, but I have no problems with my OnStar. The volume level is just right.

The only problem I am having now is that when I go to make a call on my OnStar phone and I say the stored call name, like "Call Home", it has trouble understanding me and will say some shnit like "calling whorehouse"….NO!

That sure gets embarrassing with my mother in the car with me….ya know?