AVIC411.com

• 1 year later...

I may be able to help you find the VSS wire (if there is one...) I have access to Volvo factory diagrams. Do you know if the F90 can be installed in the XC90? Have you already done it and just need to locate the VSS wire for the nav? Do you have all other functionality otherwise?

Checking out for the day now, but will check for your answer tomorrow. Later

So far, info is very muddled about VSS or wiring. This vehicle uses CAN bus for a lot of its data handling and there may not be a wire specifically for a VSS. I just found a sensor on the transmission output shaft housing that looks like a VSS but it's in the parts diagram--now I gotta try to find it in the service info for a wiring diagram. Will let you know...

OK. There is a sensor on the transmission output shaft housing for the the left front drive axle. Volvo does not identify it as a 'vehicle speed sensor' but calls it an 'output sensor'. I'm thinking that's the same thing--it looks like it's reading the front drive axle speed. The wires go to the transmission control module (TCM). There is a yellow wire and a black wire and it looks like the easiest place to access the wires is going to be at the trans output shaft housing. Don't believe I would try to get into the wiring to the instrument panel/driver information module (DIM). Hope this helps, but I'm not sure it's worth it. Let me know.

Whew, that sounds pretty rough. I'd actually be more interested at this point in finding a 12V source for night time. The headlights always stay on, but the dash console lights up only at night. Is that only part of the CAN, or can I tap somewhere?

gtsdohcvvtli: There is absolutely no good way (or there wasn't a year ago) to get into the MOST system. So, I completely bypassed it. The only thing copper wire in the system is from the amp to the speakers, so I took my output from the Z1 and cut straight to the speaker wires. I was advised to keep everything fiber connected, so the 6 disc CD changer and all buttons are actually still connected and hidden. The MOST system freaks out if something is disconnected, so you actually must disconnect the battery before disconnecting any fiber units. Let me know if you need any more info. Oh, and someone gave me a powered AM/FM antenna, but it hardly works, and I listen to XM and the Z1 Library anyway. I've always wondered about an adapter they sell at Circuit City for Volvo cars.

• 4 weeks later...