AVIC411.com

I like to work on how to get music into Z2.

If it was at all possible, first you would have to unlock your hard drive. At this point nobody has been able to transfer music to the Z1/Z2. Once you unlock your drive, make an image of it and play with that.

The problem is that in the instructions on "How do I disable the lock on my HDD?", it says "... Connect your HDD to your PC using the IDE adapter (not USB). Connect it to the secondary IDE channel....", and I don't have a computer with IDE adapter. Is there any work around for this problem?

Thanks,

M

The problem is that in the instructions on "How do I disable the lock on my HDD?", it says "... Connect your HDD to your PC using the IDE adapter (not USB). Connect it to the secondary IDE channel....", and I don't have a computer with IDE adapter. Is there any work around for this problem?

Thanks,

M

Right now... no. You need a PC with a secondary IDE cable and connect the drive as a master. Then you use the program specified to unlock the drive and save the data. That's the only SAFE way we know to unlock the drive and not destroy the data.

But if you only want to transfer music, unless you are a genius at software reverse engineering, don't bother.

You need to create AT3 files for upload to the drive and reverse engineer the play list file that is created for each album which is created. Without both you get no music that will play. We were never able to crack the play list file enough to create our own.

If you want to take a stab at it, feel free.

Thanks,

M

Right now... no. You need a PC with a secondary IDE cable and connect the drive as a master. Then you use the program specified to unlock the drive and save the data. That's the only SAFE way we know to unlock the drive and not destroy the data.

But if you only want to transfer music, unless you are a genius at software reverse engineering, don't bother.

You need to create AT3 files for upload to the drive and reverse engineer the play list file that is created for each album which is created. Without both you get no music that will play. We were never able to crack the play list file enough to create our own.

If you want to take a stab at it, feel free.

Can I have the playlist file to look at?

interesting... So if you solve this problem of getting music onto the image, how are you going to copy it over to your Z1/Z2 without the IDE?

I have an external enclosure with USB connector.

a lot of us do, but the tool only works with it in a pc on the secondary channel with a 3.5 IDE to 2.5 IDE adapter. sorry.

And coocho, I assumed since he asked about using USB in the first post, I would have bet that's what mickeyvnminnie was planning on using.

Can I have the playlist file to look at?

I don't have one readily available, but I might be able to try to hunt one down. It might be across multiple files. The only way to know for sure, would be to unlock the drive.... wipe it and make it factory fresh with a level 4 reset and then make an image of copy of all the files. And then take a single CD and load it on and make another copy of it.

I don't have that accessible. I never did that. If someone else did and can tell me the files, I might be able to copy them, but I don't know which ones you would need for that playlist off hand. I would have to hunt them down. It's been a year (about) since we played with this.

Probably the only thing that could work right now is if we (avic community) created our own gigantic music library that we could download music files from.

I bet if I emailed an album file to someone they could upload it to their Z1.

I bet if I emailed an album file to someone they could upload it to their Z1.

Maybe. I don't remember how the playlist files are stored. If they are not directory and disk specific, then maybe. But only if the person loading it puts it in the same directory. If you recorded an album at directory 001 and someone already has something else in that in directory at location 001 and just puts it in 002, that might not work.

I know if you take your entire music partition and copy it to another avic, it will have everything. But hand picking one album at a time, I don't remember trying that because I seem to remember that it was going to be problematic. Maybe we just didn't think of it.....

I know if you take your entire music partition and copy it to another avic, it will have everything. But hand picking one album at a time, I don't remember trying that because I seem to remember that it was going to be problematic. Maybe we just didn't think of it.....

I'll play around with it and see what happens. It may be problematic b/c it does make an album file and artist file and playlist file.

I'll check it out in a few days.

• 3 weeks later...
Can I buy a new drive and somebody with a PC with secondary IDE disable the password for me? I can pay for all the shipping and stuff.

Thanks,

I think you only need to have a secondary ide channel if you want to unlock a stock drive. If you want to just disable a password for a new drive, you can do that on any IDE channel.

Can I buy a new drive and somebody with a PC with secondary IDE disable the password for me? I can pay for all the shipping and stuff.

Thanks,

I think you only need to have a secondary ide channel if you want to unlock a stock drive. If you want to just disable a password for a new drive, you can do that on any IDE channel.

Will it work with an USB enclosure? Another question is that when you buy a brand new AVIC-Z#, is the drive already locked? Or is it only locked upon power on?