AVIC411.com

Honest feedback concerning video capabilities on AviC D3

Hello yall. I need honest feedback from you D3 owners. I am looking to purchase a double din head unit that is capable of handling a variety of media especially in the video section.

How well does the D3 handle video as far as quality and readability issues. I could care less about the navigation features. Since I have over 300gigs of music videos, i would be looking to put some on a DVD as divx or mpeg 2, i.e. burning them a data dvd as opposed to authoring them. Would the D3 read them in that state? Does it support DVD+R DL?

Also, is it possible to have like an external hard drive hooked up to the "iBus" Direct Control? and read mp3s or videos in divx format. Please advice or if any one has another unit entirely in mind that handles a variety of formats and had a great video playback. Thanks.

The under-$1000 MSRP brought all the hardrocks and ballers out from under the rocks. I read an article a few weeks ago in ME (Mobile Electronics) magazine where several installers noticed and made fun of this fact too.

To actually be helpful in my reply...yes, the D3 plays DIVX files. Since the navigation is on a DL DVD, I'm assuming that it will read a DVD+R DL. You could also put the videos on your ipod if you don't mind converting. Not sure about the harddrive, but it probably does work with the USB addon.

Hello yall. I need honest feedback from you D3 owners. I am looking to purchase a double din head unit that is capable of handling a variety of media especially in the video section.

How well does the D3 handle video as far as quality and readability issues. I could care less about the navigation features. Since I have over 300gigs of music videos, i would be looking to put some on a DVD as divx or mpeg 2, i.e. burning them a data dvd as opposed to authoring them. Would the D3 read them in that state? Does it support DVD+R DL?

Also, is it possible to have like an external hard drive hooked up to the "iBus" Direct Control? and

read mp3s or videos in divx format. Please advice or if any one has another unit entirely in mind that handles a variety of formats and had a great video playback. Thanks.

It does read DL DVD+R just fine.

No support with the CDI200 ("iBus" Direct Control) other then ipod.

Horrible support with the USB option, its not even listed as compatible.

To actually be helpful in my reply...yes, the D3 plays DIVX files. Since the navigation is on a DL DVD, I'm assuming that it will read a DVD+R DL. You could also put the videos on your ipod if you don't mind converting. Not sure about the harddrive, but it probably does work with the USB addon.

Thank you for your input. Okay, now that I know it will read DVD+R DL media, how good is the video quality. No one here seems to talk about it. Is it crisp? Or it could be much more better. Better still, on a scale of 1-10 what would it score.

Also, is it possible to have like an external hard drive hooked up to the "iBus" Direct Control? and

read mp3s or videos in divx format. Please advice or if any one has another unit entirely in mind that handles a variety of formats and had a great video playback. Thanks.

VBLUE42, thanks for your input also. You say the USB support is horrible. By horrible you mean? sluggish / counter-intuitive or its PITA to get it working. Please I need solid answer because you own it. 95% of Best Buy dudes don't know anything about tons of the products they sell.

It's a 6.1 in screen with a resolution of ~500x240. I believe the iPod is 320x240, so the picture isnt going to be great. However, i think especially for avi/divx files, the picture will definitely be adequate. I dont have mine yet so i cant say for sure.

Ive read that the interface for usb items is horrible. very difficult to manage and access, not so much the actual install.

You don't have to defend yourself about viewing movies...who doesn't? if you cant multitask, dont watch movies.

The display is pretty good with DVD. It's not so good with video from the iPod because it was meant for a small screen.

Necro, point very well taken. Not to stress you, but it would be great if you can upload a photo w/ the unit playing a video off the ipod. Reason is because you make it sound like the resolution becomes stretched playing on the unit and looking horrible afterwards.

VBLUE42, thanks for your input also. You say the USB support is horrible. By horrible you mean? sluggish / counter-intuitive or its PITA to get it working. Please I need solid answer because you own it. 95% of Best Buy dudes don't know anything about tons of the products they sell.

http://avic411.com/forum/viewtopic.php? ... hlight=usb

Read this, I havnt personally used the USB option but I have used other options with pioneer head units before that only work as "external devices" (meaning the software interface to control it is very basic) and they always leave much to be desired.