AVIC411.com

What did you pay for D3 install ? What is a fair price ?

I bought the D3 from Compuplus and went to an independent car install place. Was quoted $260 for unit install, ipod cable to glove box, steering wheel control install (bought Pac SWI-PS from Ebay) and video/navigation by-pass.

Still have to add on the price of the dash kit, guessing it will be another $50.

Is there a harness that comes with the D3 or is that extra too ?

Is $310 for the above a fair price ?

its really not if you think about it. what you guys have to understand is that when you buy the unit from someone other than whose installing it, they are losing the "mark up" money. so they want to try to make up for it somehow. for example, when i sell a d3 to a dealership, i charge them $1,200 installed. which is fair if you consider crutchfield sells the unit for $1,000. so its only $200 in labor which includes the dash kit and wire harness. now when one of you guys here on the forum who shopped all over onlie and ended up paying about what i pay for it. when you ask me to install it, it kinda sucks because theres really no money to be made on it. to help out fellow forum brothers here, i have been charging $150 for the d3 and depending on accessories it goes up from there. its not the money i should make on such a job, but its better than nothing i guess. so dont think guys are ripping you off trying to charge up to $400. they're just trying to get full boat. anything over that is probably too much.

its really not if you think about it. what you guys have to understand is that when you buy the unit from someone other than whose installing it, they are losing the "mark up" money. so they want to try to make up for it somehow. for example, when i sell a d3 to a dealership, i charge them $1,200 installed. which is fair if you consider crutchfield sells the unit for $1,000. so its only $200 in labor which includes the dash kit and wire harness. now when one of you guys here on the forum who shopped all over onlie and ended up paying about what i pay for it. when you ask me to install it, it kinda sucks because theres really no money to be made on it. to help out fellow forum brothers here, i have been charging $150 for the d3 and depending on accessories it goes up from there. its not the money i should make on such a job, but its better than nothing i guess. so dont think guys are ripping you off trying to charge up to $400. they're just trying to get full boat. anything over that is probably too much.

quoted for the truth...

Misfit your not losing :) im sure installs you have done they have told their friends and recommended you. I know me i have 2 friends that want to buy the d3 soo i will def be recommending you to them once you do my install on saturday... soo make sure you bring a business card if you have one.

I bought all my stuff at Crutchfield (bluetooth, PAC-SW1, D3, and an underseat subwoofer for) and took it to a local shop. They installed everything for $200. You gotta figure their guy only spent 3-4 hours on it and probably only got paid $15/hour. Do the math, they didn't make a killing but it kept their guy busy (who was going to get paid regardless) and they still make some money without having to deal with inventory or warranty issues.

i paid $75 dollars for install REAl install on 2008 scion Xb

(PITA nobody had wiring diagrams yet not even toyota could figure it out but my install guy did ) VSS ,bypass, and paid 15 bucks for shop fees to cover fiberglassing, and painting center piece to match the deck color... it fits so well into car that it doesnt have a plastic install kit look all smooth like budda

• 1 month later...

anyone here from northern cali, that know where i could get a good deal for installing a car deck and accessories? i'm getting the kenwood dnx 7100, adding bluetooth, ipod, xm traffic, and ps2. i called two shops here and one is charging me 680.00 for labor. and the other one is charging me 550.00. i live in fairfield btw.